Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt Washington Hike MLK Weekend

Thanks

Hello everybody,
    We are going to attempt the summit on Sun of the MLK weekend. Although, i will be there with a group as part of a guided trip. I did the same thing last year and it was awesome.
    But, the next time i want to do it on my own, for which i would need my own equipment i.e. boots, crampons, ice-axe and such. Does anyone have good advice on where and what to buy to start off ?

Thanks,

Thanks

I will also be climbing Mount Washington on MLK weekend. We're driving up Friday from New Jersey and we are going to start our climb on Saturday morning. I will be with two of my good hiking buddies and we're going to attempt an overnight, weather depending.

We have some pretty good winter experience and we've done Mount Washington in the Spring but we've never involved ourselves in true winter mountaineering. We have ourselves crampons and trekking poles but no ice axes.

If anyone wants to join us, send me a private message.

By the way, anyone know of any cheap accommodations in the area for that Friday night?

Thanks

I'd bring ice axes if I were you. Last winter at Lion Head a wind gust took me off my feet and sent me sliding toward Tucks. If I didn't have my ice axe ready I'm sure that I would have been seriously injured or killed.

Thanks

Default Kaseri's right

Not only having one but the knowledge and familiarity with how to use it to self-arrest.

KDT

Thanks

Default Better Safe Than Sorry

Well, there goes more cash. Better safe than sorry, I'd say. I've been iffy about getting an ice axe but you guys and other sources have made it clear that an ice axe is necessary. So, I've ordered one.

I'm familiar with self arrest techniques but I guess I should practice before I go.

Thanks, all. And if anyone is also doing Lion's Head on MLK weekend, let me know!

Thanks

Exclamation ice ax needed

I would recommend that if you climb Washington in the winter you use an ice ax. Having one is good but you really need to know how to use it. I will admit that I have climbed washington in the winter with out crampons and ice ax and there were spots where I knew I was INSANE. You need to remember that if you need to be rescued you are placing other peoples lives at risk that have to come get you. Crampons and ice ax are two items that should always be with those who decide to climb the rock pile in winter. Those climbing on M.L.K. day have an awesome climb and be sure to give us a trip report with pictures. Climb on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordvoldemort
    Hello everybody,
    We are going to attempt the summit on Sun of the MLK weekend. Although, i will be there with a group as part of a guided trip. I did the same thing last year and it was awesome.
    But, the next time i want to do it on my own, for which i would need my own equipment i.e. boots, crampons, ice-axe and such. Does anyone have good advice on where and what to buy to start off ?

Thanks,
    If you're hooked on winter mountaineering as I became years ago, the first thing I bought was a pair of boots, crampons and ice ax. I actually bought the boots at a sidewalk sale that ems had during the summer years ago in North Conway - this was before the days of ebay. Bought them for 1/3 of the retail price. These summer sidewalk sales are good place to find a bargain if you can wait - I hate paying full retail as good winter mountaineering equipment is expensive. Ebay is also another good place for bargains. Also there are many good shops in North Conway that have bargains at the end of the season - I like to buy locally and support the local businesses whenever I can. Also the climbing schools routinely sell their rental equipment at years end and often have gear that has lots of life left in it for a lot less than you would pay new. Also when shopping for clothing, think multi-use. Gear that is good for skiing, snowmobiling etc.. is also good for winter climbing. Hope this helps.
    Tim

Thanks

So weekend weather looks like snow will be in the forecast. Weather on Sat is looking nicer than Sunday in terms of temps.

Everyone still planning to be there? Our group is still planning to make our way up Lions Head and further weather permitting.

Thanks

I was planning on being up there on sunday but if anyone wants to go to the summit and back down on Saturday please contact me at the following email address-

kaseri(at)gmail(dot)com

Hopefully we can work out the details and make a successful summit attempt.

Thanks

My group and I are still planning on going this weekend. Depending on the weather, we would like to make it an overnight trip.

Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like along Boott Spur? Would snowshoes be required for that route?