Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mt Washington Hike MLK Weekend

Thanks

My friend called up Pinkham Notch and asked about the conditions. I think the woman scared him out of this trip.

Thanks

Early estimates have summit temps at -20 to -25 F on Monday.

Thanks

Yeah, Monday looks pretty frigid but we were supposed to give the summit a go on Saturday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_swede
    My friend called up Pinkham Notch and asked about the conditions. I think the woman scared him out of this trip.
    That's pretty much their job. They have no idea who you are, how much experience you have, and they certainly don't want to give your trip a seal of approval. You know what the forecast is. Their information is one piece of the puzzle. The rest is up for you to fill in.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Yeah, I wish I could tell him that. He is probably the most indecisive person I have ever met. It's very frustrating because one minute he'll be psyched to go and then an hour later, he'll decide that he doesn't think it's a good idea. Looks like I need to find a more motivated group to deal with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_swede
    Yeah, Monday looks pretty frigid but we were supposed to give the summit a go on Saturday.
    If you're dead set on making it to the summit of Mount Washington then maybe staying home is a good idea. Otherwise, I'd still go to NH for the weekend. Maybe the forecast will be a bust and you'll sneak up to the top Saturday morning. Or maybe it will be terrible and you'll poke your head above treeline then get down as fast as possible. As long as you are willing to alter your plans you should be able to have a good time in the White Mountains.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

You could always make a few turns on the Sherbie.

I'm thinking of skinning up in the morning and sliding down to Pinkham. Stop into the visitors center for lunch and then head back up for one more run.

Thanks

The idea of not making it to the summit doesn't bother me. I'm not dead set on getting to the top. I would like to get a taste of the White Mountains in the winter and if that means just making it to Lion's Head and then heading back, I'll be satisfied.

I believe it is my friend who is more interested in getting to the top than I am. He thinks it would be a waste of time to travel all the way up to NH only to turn around if the weather goes sour.

If the weather turns out to be OK, perhaps the summit is a good goal. Maybe if the weather is bad, we'll only get as far as treeline. From the comfort of my room I can only speculate what it will be like. The best option to me is to at least head out and see what it's like and then assess what is feasible depending on the conditions.

Thanks

Swede, I feel for you. Im frustrated just reading your posts. Tell your buddy to suck it up and get in the car. Its going to be a great weekend and plenty of opportunity to learn and get winter climbing experience is in the forecast. Its raining in Boston right now and if your in NJ, then by the time you get to the NH state line, weather will be a non-issue. New England laughs in the face of 6 inches, thats a dusting. Further, weather forecasting in New England is a crap shoot, it changes by the minute and you can never predict a thing. Worst that can happen is a great road trip.... sorry for ranting, but I feel for you.

Myself and two friends will be at the parking lot at Pinkham Notch by 645-700 AM. You are more than welcome to join up with us. Were heading up Lions Head and further weather permitting.

Thanks

Flippin, thanks for the invite. I had sort of depended on my two hiking buddies for a trip this winter break and we had been planning on one for several months. Our original plan called for backpacking in the ADKs but two weeks ago we decided to change it to the Whites. Week after week of delays and now it's my last weekend of winter break and still no trip. Oh well. I've got something local planned now with another friend instead.