Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt Washington Hike MLK Weekend

Thanks

The trail along Boott Spur is long and seldom traveled in winter. I would take snowshoes on that route. Last year I climbed to the summit via Lion Head and decended via Boott Spur. It's was a long, long day. You are extremely exposed for a long period of time. I took that route on an exceptional weather/conditions day and it was not an easy climb down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout
    If you're hooked on winter mountaineering as I became years ago, the first thing I bought was a pair of boots, crampons and ice ax. I actually bought the boots at a sidewalk sale that ems had during the summer years ago in North Conway - this was before the days of ebay. Bought them for 1/3 of the retail price. These summer sidewalk sales are good place to find a bargain if you can wait - I hate paying full retail as good winter mountaineering equipment is expensive. Ebay is also another good place for bargains. Also there are many good shops in North Conway that have bargains at the end of the season - I like to buy locally and support the local businesses whenever I can. Also the climbing schools routinely sell their rental equipment at years end and often have gear that has lots of life left in it for a lot less than you would pay new. Also when shopping for clothing, think multi-use. Gear that is good for skiing, snowmobiling etc.. is also good for winter climbing. Hope this helps.
    Tim
    Thanks, Tim. This time around i will get the gear as part of guided trip. I do have all skiing gear, so just need to find myself some mountaineering shoes, crampons and ice-axe.

lord voldemort

Thanks

Default MLK weekend

First, I would like to thank the many posters for the time taken in giving out valuable information.

I also will be in the Whites for the Friday-Sunday of MLK weekend.

My initial project was skiing from the Pickham to Nelson Craig via old Jackson trail. Snowshoe up Nelson Craig trail to the summit. Back track on Nelson Craig to the auto-road and ski down the auto road and old Jackson trail to Pickham.

Any comments from people familiar with these trails, especially in winter? Can one still park in winter at the bottom of the auto road. That would help me skip the Pickham to Nelson Craig ski section both ways, in the interest of time. What about skiing down the auto-road? Is it steep, or is it too flat, and with the possibility of Friday's snow, would just make the trip unrealistic in one single day? Anyone has done this solo?

Let me know, and happy weekend!

Thanks

Hmm...looks like snow and bone-chilling temperatures. Anyone still planning on going for Washington this weekend?

Thanks

Smile great time to climb

Is there any better time?? If I wasn't working I would be up. Snow and cold bring it on. Now throw in high winds and then the story changes. Those who climb in wind chills of 50 below those are the crazy ones. Does it look like high winds for the weekend?? Those who climb this weekend bundle up and have a great climb.

Thanks

Getting the gear all packed up tonight and doing the final check. From the weather reports Ive seen, the Sat temps look good, Sunday though will be bone chillin with the base high temp a whopping 5 degrees... I dont wanna know what summit with wind chill would be.

I cant find a more extending forecast for the mountain so I have no idea what that will be like on Sat, but jusging on the extended forecast for the area, Im hoping for a Summit temp no less than 0 with wind chills no less than -20. I have no idea about wind, but Im keeping my fingers crossed, and hope to come into work tomorrow and see high winds for the day forecasted at 50 mph max....

Anyone out there no where I can find more weather info for Saturday?

Thanks

My friend and I have decided we are going to give it a shot this weekend. We're driving up tomorrow morning from New Jersey so we're going to give the summit a go on Saturday.

Thanks

Sunday looks brutal but that's when we are scheduled to climb on a guided trip. The last time I did Mt. Washington, it was'nt that bad, the conditions were "normal". I guess, i will let you guys know how it goes after i get back.

btw, skiing down auto-road sounds like a great idea, my only concern would if there are any steep cliffs along the road, since i have heard the road to be very narrow.

Also, those who are climbing this weekend and want to get in touch with me, please feel free to send me an email.
    Last edited by lordvoldemort; 01-17-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks

Dealing with friends is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of planning a trip. Now my trip is canceled because my hiking partner doesn't want to deal with driving up in the snow.

Last weekend the weather was perfect but we ended up not going because we decided to wait for another friend to come back from a trip to Chicago. Just yesterday, he bailed out because he can't get out of tennis practice.

This sucks...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_swede
    Dealing with friends is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of planning a trip. Now my trip is canceled because my hiking partner doesn't want to deal with driving up in the snow.

Last weekend the weather was perfect but we ended up not going because we decided to wait for another friend to come back from a trip to Chicago. Just yesterday, he bailed out because he can't get out of tennis practice.

This sucks...
    What snow? I see some advisories up tonight for 2-4", but the plows will make quick work of that in the morning. That's pretty much a non-issue. Think of what would happen to the economies of VT & NH if nobody went out when it snowed 4".

Now, temps are a different story. Single digits on Saturday falling into the -10's for Sunday. Winds 40-60 knots. Still climbable if you are well prepared, but little room for error.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight