Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huntington ravine

Thanks

Question Huntington ravine

My brother in law and I are considring going up Huntington for STP'08. We did Lions' Head last year with no problem. In fact we've been up a lot of the trails to the summit including the headwall at Tuck's. We understand the dangers of early exposure, descending and the no no of going in the rain. However, if the conditions are right, is this a technical climb? Is there room for faster hikers to pass? Is it anything like the headwall? Any info or experiences would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks, see you on the trail!G.G.G.

Thanks

Default Hunts

This is not a technical climb, but, to quote the AMC White Mountain Guidebook:

Caution:This is the most difficult regular hiking trail in the White Mountains. Many of the ledges demand proper use of handholds for safe passage, and extreme caution must be exercised at all times. Although experienced hikers who are reasonably comfortable on steep rock will probably encounter little difficulty when conditions are good, the exposure on several of the steeper ledges is likely to prove extremely unnerving to novices and to those who are uncomfortable in steep places. Do not attempt this trail if you tend to feel queasy or have difficulty on ledges on ordinary trails. Hikers encumbered with large or heavy packs may experience great difficulty in some places. This trail is very dangerous when wet or icy, and its use for descent at any time is strongly discouraged. Since retreat under unfavorable conditions can be extremely difficult and hazardous, one should never venture beyond The Fan in deteriorating conditions or when weather on the Alpine Garden is likely to be severe.

I've climbed it twice. I'm not sure it was the hardest trail I ever did, but that is a subject for endless conjecture. It was steep and difficult. Above The Fan, there is little or no room for hikers to pass. To answer your other specific questions, no, it is nothing like Tucks Headwall. When you climbed through Tucks picture yourself climbing off trail up over the ledges where the waterfalls were and you will get an idea of the climb above The Fan.

All this being said, it is still quite doable. Remember, once you're up to the Alpine Garden, it is still a long rock hop to the summit. A good retreat from here is across the AG to Lion Head or even to Tucks. If you make it to the AG, make an honest evaluation of your fatigue level, time, weather, etc. before heading to the summit. You still have a long way to go back to Pinkham Notch. I always find the hike down more difficult because my energy levels are tapped, my legs are beat, and to me, the strain on my knees is just worse going down.

I could go on, but I'll spare you. Rockin Rex and his son climbed it last STP. I don't remember if they went all the way to the summit, I'm pretty sure they did. Rex said it was the most awesome hike he's ever had in the Whites and I know he's been on some of the more intense trails up here. It certainly is one of my more memorable. Just heed all the warnings and be honest to yourselves. You'll be fine.

KDT

Thanks

Smile Huntington Ravine

K.D. I guess you remember how stoked my son Baxter (14 yrs old) and myself were after doing Huntington this past Seek The Peak. I had been up H.R. before but doing it with Baxter was a trip I will NEVER forget!! Huntington is an intense hike and once above the fan there is NO TURNING BACK. After you make that turn off the well trodden tucks trail you then realize you are in for an experience. The hike up to the floor of the Ravine is amazing and very difficult in and of its self.. The stream crossings can get interesting and there are some steep and rough parts of the trail just getting to the floor of the ravine. Once on the floor of the ravine you then get to see where you will be heading. As Baxter said " Dad there is no way a trail goes up there". Well there is some what of a trail if you can call it that. From the floor up to just above the fan the trail climbs up and over some steep rock sections and thru some low alpine to the point of no return. This is the section where most people wonder if they made the right choice. This part is all on steep slabs with few hand holds and if you are scared of hights can be very intimidating. There is no place to pass other people on this section so if you freeze up you hold up the line. This section of trail is one of the most intense in the Whites. Once you commit to it you have to make it up to the Alpine Garden. There is no turning around. This is the reason that you ALWAYS check the weather before heading up to Huntington and only do H.R. if you are going to have a dry day. I would not want to be on this trail in rain!!!!! As difficult as this trail is it is one of my favorites and that is why I brought my son up with me. Take your time doing it, take in the awesome views and beauty of the ravine and this will be a hike you will remember for a life time. Once up at the Alpine Garden you then have a 45 minute hike to the summit. If you are tired from the hike up the ravine this last section from the alpine garden to the summit can seem like eternity. When you reach the top of the rock pile congrats, You made it!!

Thanks

Thanks for the blow by blow Rex. My son wants to do H.R. in the worst way and I must admit I would like to do it as well. I think I will wait until he is a few years older before we take it on. It sounds like a great challenge.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Thanks for the blow by blow Rex. My son wants to do H.R. in the worst way and I must admit I would like to do it as well. I think I will wait until he is a few years older before we take it on. It sounds like a great challenge.
    What would be nice would be up HR - summit - then stay the night at Lakes of The Clouds. That way you are not having to push to get all the way back to Pinkham.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    What would be nice would be up HR - summit - then stay the night at Lakes of The Clouds. That way you are not having to push to get all the way back to Pinkham.
    Good point. I know how we all felt last year on the way out...hurtin!
    Steve

Thanks

Thumbs up Children and Huntington Ravine

The way I got my son to do it was to bribe him with a turkey dinner at the end. Seek The Peak was the perfect time to take him. An amazing tour at the top (Thanks OBS staff) and an all you can eat turkey dinner at the end. Any father or mother looking to do a hike with their children that will be remembered for a lifetime this is the hike. I recommend you do it at Seek The Peak. WHAT AN AMAZING TIME!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Yes, it was a great time and the turkey dinner was excellent. I hope the same folks do it again in 2008.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Yes, it was a great time and the turkey dinner was excellent. I hope the same folks do it again in 2008.
    Make sure you all take the tour at the top so I can say hello to you all. I'll try to have a treat for you when you come through.
    Steve

Thanks

i hope you make a special treat for your forum friends
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for