Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Huntington ravine

Thanks

Probably a picture of me playing in the snow with my dog. :-)
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Thumbs up H.r.

KDT, Rockin'Rex..
    Thanks for the input on Huntington. It sounds wonderful as well as challenging! We'll be working hard to be in our top shape for it. We'll know that morning if conditions aren't right to wave it off for another time. Thanks again for relaying your experience on H.R. We'll keep everything in mind.
    I wish everyone a Happy and safe New Year!!! See you on the trail in '08. Talk to you soon, G.G.G.

Thanks

For the last two years I have hiked up Huntington Ravine and down Tuckermans. Huntington trail is great and challenging. After coming up the Fan your faced with a steep slab and its fairly smooth. That's the only place I found to be sketchy. Its a great experience! I highly recomend it!!!
    Courage Is Doing What Your Affraid To Do

Thanks

Hi there,

We hiked Huntington Ravine last September, with the Random Hiking Group, we have a group of 8 people, it could be intimidate if you are afraid of height (like me) but not that hard, my friend who had a hangover and weared jeans made it (it's tough for him though)

On our way up, there are a couple and a family who passed us (and we passed them later), but in certain areas there is only one way up.

We made a mistake by going off trail, we have to do some paralled move on the bare steep rocks, which really SCARED me, but if you stick with the yellow sign you will be good, don't worry.

The hard part is the beginning, after that just believe in your boots or like me use more upper-body strength.

It's a lot of fun, needless to say; please take a look at our pictures.

http://hiking.meetup.com/305/photos/...hotoId=2158407

Good luck!

Alex
    Last edited by sm0421; 01-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks

Default Huntington Ravine

Great shots! Some really show the steepness. The shots of everyone crossing The Fan are good, too!

KDT

Thanks

Wow, those really put into perspective that trail. That is the kink of climbing I did as a kid only on a smaller scale in CT. I will wait until the kids are much older to attempt that for sure.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Great shots! Some really show the steepness. The shots of everyone crossing The Fan are good, too!

KDT
    Thanks KD, The Fan is the hardest part, my backpack was so heavy I could barely hold myself on the rocks, but my friend who was a scrambler before make it easy like walking on the ground, he just trusted the friction of his boots.

We have also done Mt. Washington twice in a day: Amanoosuc Ravine trail---Lion Head Trail to Pinkam Notch---Tuckerman Ravine trail---Jewell trail, it was a lot of fun too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sm0421
    We hiked Huntington Ravine last September, with the Random Hiking Group, we have a group of 8 people, it could be intimidate if you are afraid of height (like me) but not that hard, my friend who had a hangover and weared jeans made it (it's tough for him though)
    Very nice photos covering the trail views of the hike. Best shots that I've seen for Huntington that give an idea what it's like to hike the trail. The fear of heights thing is a big problem for me and has kept me from even considering doing this trail (particularly after the AMC guide description). The pictures here as well as your description make it seem much more reasonable (as long as conditions are good). Maybe we will actually try it someday...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thumbs up

sm0421 great pix of H.R. Congrats to everyone on your team! I got some good tips from KDT and Rockin Rex. Put that together with your pictures and I really get an idea what I'll be in for. The challenge is exciting! I think I'll get a heavier set of ankle weights though.

Thanks

Lovely shots.....scary too. I'd like to think I can do Huntington, but need way more practice. I think I'll stick with Tux.