Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boil Stove?????

Thanks

Default Jet Boil Stove?????

Just wondering if anyone can give me some feed back on a "Jet Boil" stove. I have a "Whisper light" MSR stove now and have been using a friends "Pocket-rocket" MSR.
    I like a small stove and want to buy one of the two. Any help?? Thanks
    Think Snow

Thanks

I have one and I really like it. I only have the basic model which comes with just the mug. It will boil 2 cups of water in like 2 minutes which makes it great for freeze dried meals. Due to it's design it's very efficient and uses gas pretty sparingly. I do allot of solo hikes so it's perfect. I don't know about using it at altitude, I've never used it outside the Whites so if you're headed out West all bets are off.

Last year I did an overnight hike with 5 other guys and all we ended up using was just my Jet Boil even though a couple others had brought stoves. We did supper and breakfast which was about 5-6 meals and still didn't use up the one small gas canister I brought. By the way you can use any small size gas canister you don't need to use Jet Boil canisters.

Thanks

I too have the Jet Boil and love it. Billy's comment about the gas is quite true. I always feel like the cannisters last a long time for the ammount I use them. What is nice is that the cannisters fit into the boiling container so it is compact.

I use it on solo hikes out here in the 'dacks but never at altitude so I'm not sure how effective it is at higher elevations.

Thanks

Default Jet Boil

I too am interested in getting a Jet Boil but have a few concerns. I was reading some reviews where people had trouble boiling water in cold temperatures and with the Jet Boil being unstable while heating up it's contents.
    Has anyone experienced these problems? I know that Jet Boil offers an adaptor for stability and that a larger fuel canister also helps but what about the cold temperatures?

Thanks

The only problem you’re going to have in the cold temps is because the fuel becomes more sluggish,

Jet boil from what I understand uses Propane, and when propane gets below 32 degrees it does not vaporize back into its gas state as easily.

If you want a really in depth state changes of propane, pm me and I will be willing to go through the whole thing with ya!

The jet boil stove is a GREAT 3 season stove, I have been on trips where we use that all the time. But when it gets cold, we go right back to white gas.

Another draw back, you can not use the jet boil gas for anything else, I.E. (not the safest thing in the world) to help start fires! That is the only other draw back.

I kind of killed my stove a while back and am not in the market for another and I am having the same issues everyone else is, what kind of camping do I do most and what stove will be the best!.

Best of luck finding your stove, in cold weather, the MSR Pocket Rocket has been working the best for me at the moment!
    Today is the Tomorrow you dreamed about Yesterday!
    Nothing is impossible, its just a matter of how difficult!

Thanks

I've used mine in somewhat cold (20*)temps but I don't use Jet Boil fuel. Right now I've been using Snow Peak Giga Power which is a propane/isobutane mix. The manufacturer claims it's good to around 15* which is probably about the limit for canister gasses regardless of brand.
    Last edited by billysinc; 12-31-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks

I had freeze up problems with my pocket rocket at hermits on Nov 10th. I think the temp was around 15F that night. I had to sleep with the tank in my bag. The top of my tank would not reseal all the way and was leaking. I put the rocket back on to seal the top. NO fun have the top sticking into your leg all night.
    Think Snow

Thanks

I saw climbers using canister stoves on the Everest show at some of the higher camps.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

As altitude increases, the temperature at which a liquid vaporizes decreases. So a canister stove that would be unsuitable operating at a certain cold temperature at sea level, would perform quite admirably in the same cold temperature at high altitude.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jet Boil stoves being used on Mt. Everest or any other high peak, with the only exception being Denali--but that's only because butane/isobutane/propane canisters aren't allowed on the supply planes flying to base camp.

Thanks

I just bought my JET BOIL. I'll let you know what I think. THe EMS guy told me to be real careful with cold weather freeze ups.
    Think Snow