Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet Boil Stove?????

Thanks

Default IsoPro

With either the propane or IsoPro mixes you have to be really careful below 20 degrees. As previousally mentioned, the compressed gas does not vaporize and flow rates are low. Some tricks are to keep the canister warm i.e. sleep with it overnight or keep it next to your body before you use it.

When it gets really cold out you really need to use a white gas stove.

Thanks

I too am in the market for a stove, one for cold weather use. Should i go for a white gas one as opposed to propane ? I have been trying to lookup reviews elsewhere but cannot find anyone suggesting one which works real good in cold conditions.

Thanks

Default Stove

I second the white gas stove. The Jet Boils are great stoves, but only down to a certain temp. If you plan on above treeline hiking and winter camping, then white gas is the way to go.

Check this thread:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ghlight=stoves

KDT

Thanks

Default MSR fan

My basic setup is a MSR SimmerLite (White gas) for winter and when I'm cooking for more than just me, and a MSR PocketRocket (ISO-Butane) for 3 season solos or simple water boiling for a small group. Both work flawless and aren't too expensive. One note: the SimmerLite does not simmer very well. It likes to run full out. Which is great for quick boils or melting snow, but it is hard to control the valve for a slow burn.

My son has a Primus Multi-Fuel EX Stove which is also a great multi-fuel stove. It gives you the option of using both liquid (white gas, gasoline, and kerosene) and canisters.

Stay away from the Coleman Fyrestorm stoves. I know 3 people who got them as gifts (including me) and returned them - leaks and poor manufacturing.

Thanks

I bought a stove last year that attaches to one of these. I have not used it yet and was wondering how many uses I can expect out of one can, lets say for boiling water for freeze dried camp food or for drinking?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks everybody. Looks like MSR Whisperlite seems to be all round good choice.