Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bill o....a few questions....

Thanks

My plan this year is to hike to the summit, work my week, then hike back down. That will satisfy my participation in STP.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

and if you are late to the top then your wife will be mad and you will get docked some pay
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    and if you are late to the top then your wife will be mad and you will get docked some pay
    I don't know about the pay part but..."there'll be no living with her after that."
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    im ok with my time on the hike....but thanks....of course any other tips or suggestions are always welcome!....like....going down that rockpile!....ive climbed mt washington before but it was years ago and even at that i never went down washington....we hiked across or at least it sure as heck didnt seem like we went down....last year we rode down after hiking up but i gotta tell you....getting down seems like a whole different challenge....
    I agree, going down is not always easy. It may not get my heart rate up, but it wears on my muscles and joints. Especially after you just climbed the mountain. This is when trekking poles really come in handy with added support and stability.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I agree, going down is not always easy. It may not get my heart rate up, but it wears on my muscles and joints. Especially after you just climbed the mountain. This is when trekking poles really come in handy with added support and stability.
    I remember as a kid we would run down, hopping and jumping on the rocks, pretending we were skiing on them. The legs bounced back really quick back then but now I am really glad to have my trekking poles for the decent.
    Steve

Thanks

Yes!!, I can remember "rock floating", as we would call it - moving so fast downhill that you never come down "fully" on any one foot - just a gentle "guiding" of the body, as it flows down the slope - always watching 3 or 4 rocks ahead . . .
    On the right slope you could "float" down a thousand feet in no time!!
    You knew it was wrong - you knew it was "asking for it" - you knew the dangers were rampant - but the adrenaline rush was intense!!
    Now-a-days I'm a bit slower - the body takes much longer to heal - and the mind holds the body back from it's youthful exuberance. These days, I'd take going UPHILL any day over going down. Down is the real killer!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker
    Yes!!, I can remember "rock floating", as we would call it - moving so fast downhill that you never come down "fully" on any one foot - just a gentle "guiding" of the body, as it flows down the slope - always watching 3 or 4 rocks ahead . . .
    On the right slope you could "float" down a thousand feet in no time!!
    You knew it was wrong - you knew it was "asking for it" - you knew the dangers were rampant - but the adrenaline rush was intense!!
    Now-a-days I'm a bit slower - the body takes much longer to heal - and the mind holds the body back from it's youthful exuberance. These days, I'd take going UPHILL any day over going down. Down is the real killer!
    You ain't kiddin. The knees just ain't what they used to be!
    Steve

Thanks

I know about hiking slower now than before.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012