Thread: Mt. Washington Circuit Suggestions

Thanks

Default Mt. Washington Circuit Suggestions

Hey, all. A friend of mine and I are looking to do a circuit hike of Mount Washington. Last Spring we did Mount Washington via Huntington Ravine (with full packs on...) and came back down the Glen Boulder Trail.

From what I gather, the standard approach in the Winter is the Lion Head winter route. Are we best off going up and back down the Lion Head trail or is it possible to do a circuit involving the Glen Boulder Trail (we really enjoyed the Glen Boulder Trail last Spring).

We're moderately experienced hikers and most of our trips have been winter excursions so we're looking to spend the night above treeline (weather permitting). What do you think the best/safest areas are to camp above treeline along our potential route?

Thank you!

Thanks

Default Camping

Here it is again:

camping rules for Forest Protection Areas:

"(1) No camping is permitted above treeline (where trees are less than
    8 ft. tall), except in winter, and then only in places where there is at least
    2 ft. of snow cover on the ground—but not on any frozen body of water,
    and not on the east face of Mt. Washington's summit cone from Boott
    Spur to Nelson Crag (the area above Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines,
    including the Alpine Garden area). The point where the above-treeline
    restricted area begins is marked on most trails with small signs, but the
    absence of such signs should not be construed as proof of the legality of
    a site."

Your best bet is to camp at Hermit Lake if you are considering the eastern side of MW. South of Boott Spur you may find a suitable spot along the Davis Path or Glen Boulder Trail.Descending by Glen Boulder Trail will more than double your time above tree line than descending by Lion Head. Be sure to check weather reports, especially if you intend to camp above tree line, but remember, the weather could still change in a matter of minutes. After this latest thaw there isn't much snow above tree line, but that condition shouldn't last too long.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 01-09-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Your best bet is to camp at Hermit Lake if you are considering the eastern side of MW. South of Boott Spur you may find a suitable spot along the Davis Path or Glen Boulder Trail.Descending by Glen Boulder Trail will more than double your time above tree line than descending by Lion Head. Be sure to check weather reports, especially if you intend to camp above tree line, but remember, the weather could still change in a matter of minutes. After this latest thaw there isn't much snow above tree line, but that condition shouldn't last too long.

KDT
    Thanks for the info. I'm aware that there must be at least two feet of snow or more to camp above treeline. If the lack of snow condition still exists when I go, I'll definitely spend the night at Hermit Lake.