Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Question

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Wind Question

What does 100 MPH plus sustained winds sound like....down here we may get the rare wind gust of 50 MPH and it makes the windows shutter but than the gust is over.

What kind if damage does it cause up there? There are no trees but does debris fly around (small rocks etc)....

How far down the mountain do the 100 MPH plus winds go.....do they decrease at 4000 feet, 3000 feet??? I guess I am asking when you guys are getting those wind speeds what does the base feel??

Thanks

Well, its loud. Outside you have to yell to each other and sometimes that doesn't even work. Hand signals and lip reading are key elements to fully understanding a converstation.

Inside the building it's not quite as exciting. You can certainly here the wind. There tends to be some whistling as air is forced into or sucked out through the cracks. The floors can rumble ever so slightly. It becomes easy to judge the wind gusts while just listening to the sounds of the building.

Damage is pretty rare on the summit. Crashing ice and poorly fastened plywood has lead to some damage, but most things are firmly in place. Rocks don't really move around, they tend to be encased in ice so that helps. Plus, we measure the wind at 30 feet, friction is a powerful thing and windspeeds at ground level are very reduced. Some of the gravel on the summit proper gets blown around. You'll see it scattered across the snow in the lower parking lots on the summit.

How far down to 100mph winds go? All the way down or not very far...depends on the weather conditions. In a stable atmosphere winds could be sustained at 100mph on the summit and be calm in the valleys. When there is lots of turbulence you can start mixing strong gusts farther down the valley. I was on the summit once when we were having gusts to 140mph+ and the notches were seeing winds of 60-80mph.

Thanks

Is there a wind speed where it just isn't safe to venture outside??

Thanks

that is a good question. I saw people climbing Adams and Madison in 100 mile an hour winds but not me I retreated QUICKLY down. Winds above 100 are extremely scarey but there are those who find it a challange and head up the mountains. Any thing above 100 you will get blowen off the tops if you are not tied in with a partner or are on your knees crawling. So I would say for most it would be 100 miles per hour is the point where you are cheating death to be out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    that is a good question. I saw people climbing Adams and Madison in 100 mile an hour winds but not me I retreated QUICKLY down. Winds above 100 are extremely scarey but there are those who find it a challange and head up the mountains. Any thing above 100 you will get blowen off the tops if you are not tied in with a partner or are on your knees crawling. So I would say for most it would be 100 miles per hour is the point where you are cheating death to be out.
    You need to be a little careful here. Did you guess they were in winds over 100mph? Was it blowing 100mph on Mount Washington and you assumed it was doing the same on Mount Adams?

Thanks

What about wind and snow as far a visibility.....I assume it gets so bad up there that when the snow and wind are blowing around the visibility or lack there of would cause you guys not to venture far from the door......

How bad does the visibility get during one of those storms where wind, fog, and snow all hit at once?? Do you guys venture out during a storm and do you have ropes or some sort of system that will allow you to find your way back?

I have been up there during fog and couldn't see squat walking 10 feet in front of my family to take a photo......I chuckle when I hear people down here say it's foggy and tell them you don't know fog until you get ot the top of Mt Washington.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevis_highwire
    You need to be a little careful here. Did you guess they were in winds over 100mph? Was it blowing 100mph on Mount Washington and you assumed it was doing the same on Mount Adams?
    The people that passed me as I headed down and they headed up said they were told at Pinkham that the winds on Adams and Madison were going to be at or above 100. I have never felt winds like I did that day at thunderstorm junction. I have been on Washington and the ridge many times in 50 mile an hour winds and not been scared. That day at thunderstorm junction I was scared!! Being that close to the top and not peaking it, was a first for me.
    The folks I spoke with actually said they wanted to see if they could summit a 4,000 footer in 100 mile an hour winds and this was going to be their shot. I informed them I thought they were insane. They said if they ran into trouble it was not far to drop below tree so that is why they picked Adams. You are correct that without a wind gauge you can not know the exact wind speed. Many people for the first time in 50 mile an hour winds think that it is much higher and are surprised when they find out it is not. Wind speeds can be deceiving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg Weatherman
    Is there a wind speed where it just isn't safe to venture outside??
    I guess it depends where you are. There isn't a windspeed that would keep me from venturing to the top of the tower at the Observatory. Okay, there is a windspeed, but I haven't felt it yet. It's relatively safe up there, you can duck below the railing. I probably wouldn't go onto the deck in anything above 120mph, at least I wouldn't venture far from the door. If everything went wrong I could see the wind knocking you down and blowing you to the end of the deck and over the railing (worst case).

Thanks

Are you guys prepared for medical emrgencies during a storm like last night?? It's not like if someone needs medical attention you can just hop in a car and drive them the ER during a 130 MPH wind and snow storm......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg Weatherman
    Are you guys prepared for medical emrgencies during a storm like last night?? It's not like if someone needs medical attention you can just hop in a car and drive them the ER during a 130 MPH wind and snow storm......
    During the winter that is pretty much par for the course, typical conditions for the summit. They are prepared to deal with minor medical emergencies on the summit, but no open heart surgeries.