Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wind Question

Thanks

So what happens if you need more than bandages and chicken soup???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevis_highwire
    You need to be a little careful here. Did you guess they were in winds over 100mph? Was it blowing 100mph on Mount Washington and you assumed it was doing the same on Mount Adams?
    The people that passed me as I headed down and they headed up said they were told at Pinkham that the winds on Adams and Madison were going to be at or above 100. I have never felt winds like I did that day at thunderstorm junction. I have been on Washington and the ridge many times in 50 mile an hour winds and not been scared. That day at thunderstorm junction I was scared!! Being that close to the top and not peaking it, was a first for me.
    The folks I spoke with actually said they wanted to see if they could summit a 4,000 footer in 100 mile an hour winds and this was going to be their shot. I informed them I thought they were insane. They said if they ran into trouble it was not far to drop below tree so that is why they picked Adams. You are correct that without a wind gauge you can not know the exact wind speed. Many people for the first time in 50 mile an hour winds think that it is much higher and are surprised when they find out it is not. Wind speeds can be deceiving.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg Weatherman
    So what happens if you need more than bandages and chicken soup???
    Anyone who climbs mount Washington in the off season ( when the summit is closed) is one hundred responsible for themselves. In a life and death situation the folks at the observatory if conditions permit will do a rescue. I have so much respect for the people at the observatory and also the huts that risk their own lives to go out and do the rescues. Accidents do happen and that is what rescues are for, accidents. Anyone who is rescued and it is deemed to be because of a foolish thing done they are asked to pay for the rescue. Folks at the observatory my hats off to you for the lives you have saved by your strength and courage in the rescues you have done. There should be a book about the rescues that have taken place on the mount. It would be a best seller.

Thanks

Many people for the first time in 50 mile an hour winds think that it is much higher and are surprised when they find out it is not. Wind speeds can be deceiving.
    That's exactly my point. A 100mph wind has 4 times as much force as a 50mph wind. 100mph is twice as strong as 70mph