Thread: Everest photos

Thanks

Default Everest photos

I was searching around on the net the other day reading up on Mt Everest and came across someone's Picasaweb photo album of their climb of Mt Everest.

He captions every photo, and talks about the deaths on the mountain while they climbed and also about a guy who skis down from near the summit of Lhotse to camp II, down a chute that someone died the day before while climbing.

The shot looking down Lhotse face is crazy, it's so steep! I don't know how these guys do it. I am definitely not a mountain climber.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lsmithtw...nEverestPhotos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    I was searching around on the net the other day reading up on Mt Everest and came across someone's Picasaweb photo album of their climb of Mt Everest.

He captions every photo, and talks about the deaths on the mountain while they climbed and also about a guy who skis down from near the summit of Lhotse to camp II, down a chute that someone died the day before while climbing.

The shot looking down Lhotse face is crazy, it's so steep! I don't know how these guys do it. I am definitely not a mountain climber.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lsmithtw...nEverestPhotos
    Great pics. I'm with you though, I think the Whites are enough for me.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Those photos are all great, but what's the deal with his summit photo? I've never seen a summit photo of Everest with a mountain that looks like that in the background. The closest peak to Mount Everest is Lhotse and its over 1,000 feet lower. And unless you are really hypoxic, when you stand on top of Mount Everest you typically take a photo with that laser reflecting device and prayer flags in the background.

Its like going to the Grand Canyon and not getting the Grand Canyon in the photo.

Oh wait, I see farther down that he has another summit photo. Even though its dark, that pile of flags in the background looks much more like the summit of Everest.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Someday I'll make the trip to basecamp. That alone is an awesome trek. A lot cheaper too, about $4000 compared to $40,000 for a summit bid!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Smile

Yeah, one of my goals before I am 40 is hike to ABC. I may be able to do it, ha.

This is what I get for watching "Beyond the Limit" and reading a few Everest books....*sigh*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Someday I'll make the trip to basecamp. That alone is an awesome trek. A lot cheaper too, about $4000 compared to $40,000 for a summit bid!
    South side summit attempts are closer to $65k, assuming you want to use a reputable company like AAI. North side is still cheaper.

No photos from the top but here's a taste of the trek to BC through the Khumbu region: http://picasaweb.google.com/wjozanne...verestBasecamp
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Wow.....what amazing pics....thanks for sharing Bill.

And that orginal set of pic are amazing too, and so sad to read that he was near the bodies of Scott Fischer and Rob Hall.....

Thanks

Best part of any trip to the Khumbu:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_S_vAsiuo&feature=related

No second chances on take off or landing. This is not my video.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't get it either. He must not have posted the picture or they left the summit before sunrise (I know you can't stay up there forever). It would suck to spend 50k and risk your life to get a shot in the dark at the top of the mountain. I'd at least have a gps/altimeter watch in the picture to show the altitude.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Those photos are all great, but what's the deal with his summit photo? I've never seen a summit photo of Everest with a mountain that looks like that in the background. The closest peak to Mount Everest is Lhotse and its over 1,000 feet lower. And unless you are really hypoxic, when you stand on top of Mount Everest you typically take a photo with that laser reflecting device and prayer flags in the background.

Its like going to the Grand Canyon and not getting the Grand Canyon in the photo.

Oh wait, I see farther down that he has another summit photo. Even though its dark, that pile of flags in the background looks much more like the summit of Everest.