Thread: High winds in the summits forecast today 10/20

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default High winds in the summits forecast today 10/20

WOW! I haven't seen observers predict triple digit wind in some time up on the rockpile, but the forecast for tonight reads:

Tonight:
    In the clouds with rain switching over to snow. High winds.

Lows: lower 20s°F

Wind: NW 85-105mph and higher gusts possible.

STAY SAFE UP THERE TONIGHT!!!

Thanks

Looks like fun. MOS guidance showing 81knots by 5am Saturday morning.

Cruiser Guest

What type of weather are they predicting for Sunday? I'm doing an overnight to Crag Camp on Saturday and want to hike over the ridge to Jewell on Sunday. Will that be possible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser
    What type of weather are they predicting for Sunday? I'm doing an overnight to Crag Camp on Saturday and want to hike over the ridge to Jewell on Sunday. Will that be possible?
    Well, anything is possible. Sunday looks to be a lot nicer. Temps rising to around 30 on Mount Washington and winds 30-50mph subsiding during the day.

Thanks

Exclamation Be careful on the mount tonight

Quote Originally Posted by afmrintern
    WOW! I haven't seen observers predict triple digit wind in some time up on the rockpile, but the forecast for tonight reads:

Tonight:
    In the clouds with rain switching over to snow. High winds.

Lows: lower 20s°F

Wind: NW 85-105mph and higher gusts possible.

STAY SAFE UP THERE TONIGHT!!!
    What does that make the temp with wind chill?? Might be a night to try out the expedition bag and tent and see if they really will hold up in 100 mile an hour winds with 20 degree temps. They still do gear test on Washington?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    What does that make the temp with wind chill?? Might be a night to try out the expedition bag and tent and see if they really will hold up in 100 mile an hour winds with 20 degree temps. They still do gear test on Washington?
    I'll stick to my bed thank you. Despite what the ads say, there is no tent that can survive a true 100mph wind. Sure, 3 foot snow walls could probably protect the best mountaineering tents, but nothing could withstand those winds.

Interested in how the failure unfolds? Most likely the poles break first. As the tent flaps violently it rips somewhere and the wind catches it like a kite. If you are lucky it continues to shred, if you are unlucky the whole tent is ripped from the ground. At that point all your gear begins to fly away. Starting with your gloves and jackets. You're pretty much toast at this point. You might be able to retreat to a snowcave, if you made one.

Not something to mess around with.

Thanks

I agree with above, not a chance. LLBEAN did test tents on the deck a few years back, which I believe was to see how the tents would fail and to find failure points. A good way to improve product, but nothing will survive 100+ sustained with the force it gives off at this elevation.

Thanks

Judging by the front that just passed through my town, it is going to be exciting on MWN during the frontal passage later tonight.

Thanks

Looks like 129mph, and 4" of snow to boot! Quite a night!