Thread: Staffing Question

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Staffing Question

Is there a minimum and maximum number of people that the observatory must have or is allowed to have?

What are the requirements?

Is there a daily agenda for the staff?

Do you allow non-weather people to stay over night or does each person up there serve a purpose?

I know I ask a ton of questions but I am a curious type (ok nosey).....LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg Weatherman
    Do you allow non-weather people to stay over night or does each person up there serve a purpose?
    Yes, they are called Edutrips. I encourage you to look at the website for more information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg Weatherman

Is there a daily agenda for the staff?
    A full day of hourly observations, forecasting, web updates, radio shows, tours, guest accomodations, fixing broken equiptment, shoveling, cleaning the facility, more observations, deicing, getting dressed and undressed, research projects, dinner together, perhaps some sleep, repeat for 8 days...

Thanks

Is there a minimum and maximum number of people that the observatory must have or is allowed to have?
    The minimum number is guided by work requirements. To conduct hourly observations, at least two people are needed to cover the 12 hours shifts. Usually this is complemented by an intern and a volunteer cook.

The maximum is determined by fire regulations, comfort, and safety. Because fire regulations are written for lower altitudes, they must be applied with common sense. (for example, they would have to be darn sure that a fire alarm is not a false alarm before evactuating into mid-winter weather.) As a matter of comfort, the Obs bunks will sleep in the mid-teens. No matter the number, it's important that there are enough people experienced in first-aid and mountaineering.