Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Bought a hybrid

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RI and VT
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    yeah, i sell Fords and the CVT is the reason for the RMPs going so high. Buying a Hybrid SUV of any sort is for the green aspect. Gas mileage like a prius just won't happen with SUVs (yet). I always ask are you looking for gas or green. I don't want people to be upset getting high 20 low 30s. If its gas go focus.

    Sound like the Nissan is sweet. Enjoy!!!! But, its not 4X4.
    Think Snow

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donnellyvj
    Sound like the Nissan is sweet. Enjoy!!!! But, its not 4X4.
    Ya, but I have an F-150 (4wd) and my wife has an Explorer (4wd) so we are covered in that area. What we really needed is something that gets better than 15mpg around town!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RI and VT
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I have a F150 too and I love it. I know what you mean about the gas. If you want better MPG car car car. Im sure you know that. AWD Taurus X or pre-owned Freestyle. mid 20mpg!
    Think Snow

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    I had an Explorer for 10 years. Bought it in Vermont, it went to Texas, out into New Mexico (up to 8500 feet in Ruidoso, NM) and through 5 hurricanes in Florida (only to have the timing belt break and eat my engine). I replaced the engine and got another 8 months out of it, then decided to "upgrade" to a Toyota Tacoma. So far I'm really loving this new truck, but I think ANY new vehicle is better than a 10 year old one.

    When it was "new" in April (I bought it with 700 miles on it)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spyboy70/2222246031/

    And last week when I did some upgrades to the exterior last week (already has 20,000 miles on it, yikes!)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spyboy70/2222242731/

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 47 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    As I work at the Auto Road Tollhouse in season, I'd like to chime in.

    None of the MANY hybrids that have made the trip to the summit have had a problem on the upbound ride, nor have we heard any stories of electronics problems at the summit caused by microwave or other interference.

    I will caution that we flagged out the Hybrid Synergy Drive Toyotas for a week or so last summer because of POSSIBLE downbound issues. Auto Road staff got an HSD Highlander and an HSD Camry on loan for an "experienced driver's" trial on the road and a special handout was created for Toyota drivers with the Hybrid Synergy Drive system.

    With any CVT system , essentially there is no automatic or manual transmission downshift capability. Combine that with the Hybrid Drive, the only option is to select the B ( braking) option, which places all the braking force needed squarely on the braking system. It is all too possible to come DOWN the AR quicker than advisable, and meet the age old ( common) enemy of overheated brakes, so now we just caution to be aware of overheating brakes ( and it is really Same Old Same Old Stuff).

    Your car isn't smarter, no matter what you think or have been told. Be truly careful. Driver is totally tasked to maintain safety and awareness

    Yes, you'll maximize regenerative braking energy coming down, but the brakes are still disc brakes you are tasking and nothing about them is hugely different from a non hybrid car with a REAL transmission--- a CVT transmission is just not the help you'd get from Automatic Low or Manual 1st/2nd.

    Its totally doable, not dangerous, just requires that you keep your mindset on your brake temperatures and driving safety, not on your gas mileage or green rebate $$. There are lots of stops on the way down Mt Washington Auto Road, many of them have impressive lookouts and/or short walks to take in more of the scenery. See it, experience it, and stay safe.

    How hot can your brakes get while descending Mt Washington??

    Hot enough to totally fail ( the only auto fatality on the AR <1984> was from brake failure downbound on the last mile of lower mountain. )


    Hot enough to melt your hubcaps off...

    Chevy Lumina and Ford Focus cars ( the budget rental fleet favorites) routinely throw their plastic hubcaps on the last mile downbound. Brake heat melts the plastic hubcap clips and the hubcaps simply fall off, littering the woods. At times we actually get the ALL 4 ONE Visual Comedy ( WTF???? LOLOL !!!!!) of all 4 hubcaps falling off the same vehicle at the same time at the gas pump at the bottom of the mountain.


    Cars don't navigate the Auto Road, its all about the driver.

    Breeze

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    thanks for the info
    last year we saw some one putting water on there brakes at one of the pull offs not smart

    does the braking apply to your hiking shoes when coming down
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

    If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampton, NH
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Charlie,

    that's "breaking" as in the sound of one's blown out knees from years of hiking & skiing

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    does the braking apply to your hiking shoes when coming down

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    Charlie,

    that's "breaking" as in the sound of one's blown out knees from years of hiking & skiing
    don't tell brad this he loves water skiing and hiking .

    is water skiing just as hard on your knees as snow skiing
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

    If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RI and VT
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I worked for enterprise rent a car after college. One day this older lady was returning her rental and when she pulled in all 4 hub caps melted off in the parking lot. I asked her to show me how she drives. Sure enough 2 feet were in action. So, i know what what your saying about hot brakes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    As I work at the Auto Road Tollhouse in season, I'd like to chime in.

    None of the MANY hybrids that have made the trip to the summit have had a problem on the upbound ride, nor have we heard any stories of electronics problems at the summit caused by microwave or other interference.

    I will caution that we flagged out the Hybrid Synergy Drive Toyotas for a week or so last summer because of POSSIBLE downbound issues. Auto Road staff got an HSD Highlander and an HSD Camry on loan for an "experienced driver's" trial on the road and a special handout was created for Toyota drivers with the Hybrid Synergy Drive system.

    With any CVT system , essentially there is no automatic or manual transmission downshift capability. Combine that with the Hybrid Drive, the only option is to select the B ( braking) option, which places all the braking force needed squarely on the braking system. It is all too possible to come DOWN the AR quicker than advisable, and meet the age old ( common) enemy of overheated brakes, so now we just caution to be aware of overheating brakes ( and it is really Same Old Same Old Stuff).

    Your car isn't smarter, no matter what you think or have been told. Be truly careful. Driver is totally tasked to maintain safety and awareness

    Yes, you'll maximize regenerative braking energy coming down, but the brakes are still disc brakes you are tasking and nothing about them is hugely different from a non hybrid car with a REAL transmission--- a CVT transmission is just not the help you'd get from Automatic Low or Manual 1st/2nd.

    Its totally doable, not dangerous, just requires that you keep your mindset on your brake temperatures and driving safety, not on your gas mileage or green rebate $$. There are lots of stops on the way down Mt Washington Auto Road, many of them have impressive lookouts and/or short walks to take in more of the scenery. See it, experience it, and stay safe.

    How hot can your brakes get while descending Mt Washington??

    Hot enough to totally fail ( the only auto fatality on the AR <1984> was from brake failure downbound on the last mile of lower mountain. )


    Hot enough to melt your hubcaps off...

    Chevy Lumina and Ford Focus cars ( the budget rental fleet favorites) routinely throw their plastic hubcaps on the last mile downbound. Brake heat melts the plastic hubcap clips and the hubcaps simply fall off, littering the woods. At times we actually get the ALL 4 ONE Visual Comedy ( WTF???? LOLOL !!!!!) of all 4 hubcaps falling off the same vehicle at the same time at the gas pump at the bottom of the mountain.


    Cars don't navigate the Auto Road, its all about the driver.

    Breeze
    Think Snow

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    426
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 62 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    I bought a hybrid Highlander in July of 2006, and like it a lot. The day after I got it, I opened up the dash to put in an adapter for my iPod, two days later, I drove to the Florida Keys, picked up a boat, and brought it back - no trouble. Also took the boat back down to Florida in the fall, again no trouble. As was said, good mileage, but, not as good as a hybrid sedan. Re: the Ford Escape Hybrid, at one time, I was told that it had an older-generation Prius hybrid system that was licensed from Toyota - no surprise that it is/was underpowered...

    Currently coming up on 30,000 miles...

    Ed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •