Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought a hybrid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2oeco
    I bought a hybrid Highlander in July of 2006, and like it a lot. The day after I got it, I opened up the dash to put in an adapter for my iPod, two days later, I drove to the Florida Keys, picked up a boat, and brought it back - no trouble. Also took the boat back down to Florida in the fall, again no trouble. As was said, good mileage, but, not as good as a hybrid sedan. Re: the Ford Escape Hybrid, at one time, I was told that it had an older-generation Prius hybrid system that was licensed from Toyota - no surprise that it is/was underpowered...

Currently coming up on 30,000 miles...

Ed
    This is nice to her. We have been looking at the Highlander.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2oeco
    Re: the Ford Escape Hybrid, at one time, I was told that it had an older-generation Prius hybrid system that was licensed from Toyota - no surprise that it is/was underpowered...

Ed
    I dunno, my Altima is built on the Toyota technology, It's pretty fast for a mid sized sedan 4 banger, 0 to 60 in 7.2 seconds. On my test drive the sales type said punch it (on the highway), so I did, it went from 70 to 90mph pretty quickly, at which time I let up. The weirdest thing was that it never shifted. It was the test drive that put me over the edge in my purchase decision.

Thanks

It will be exciting to watch the hybrid industry develop. Will they become ubiquitous? or will they just bridge the gap from conventional cars to full electric, fuel cell, or other alternative vehicles?

Thanks

Develop? Hybrids were at the turn of the century, it's the oldest industry for cars. Ok, maybe not, since there was that 80 year hiatus.

Hybrids are an intermediate step, that's why some companies like GM are trying to avoid them and go right to hydrogen fuel cells.

I don't know if anyone watches "e2" on PBS, but it's a pretty good series. They recently had an episode about the Volt electric car and where the auto industry is going. The biggest problem is the auto giants have too much invested in old technology and can't just switch. It really does take an upstart to make the leap of faith with technology and money. Then perhaps the big companies will just buy them out, once it's successful.

The X-Prize for a 100mpg car has no challengers from the big auto makers. The speculation is that they don't want to get beat out by an upstart (again, just wait until the upstart wins then buy the technology).

So, we're the little guys here, let's build a car!

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    It will be exciting to watch the hybrid industry develop. Will they become ubiquitous? or will they just bridge the gap from conventional cars to full electric, fuel cell, or other alternative vehicles?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    I believe they are currently bridging the gap. One reason I pulled the trigger now is that, from what I have read, there will be no alternatives in production for at least 3-5 years. The next product to market will be the "plug-in" hybrids. I figure in 3-4 years I will re-evaluate and see where they are at, and what progress has been made with lithium-ion batteries.

At this point in time, if you are considering a hybrid, there is no reason to wait for the next technology. This is it for the next few years.

Thanks

Make sure you check on how to jump start your hybrid. I know that the prius need to go to a dealer for a trickle charge if the battery dies ( leave your lights on or smoething). This would bug me. I know that with the Escape you can jump start like any other car or truck.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Default CVT and overheating

Breeze, Have you had any issues with the other CVT cars. Most of the car companies like nissan and honda are going CVT not just in hybrids. Just wondering if there have been any other issues with non hybid cvts some of which do not have the braking option.

Thanks

well did any one get there hybrid and how is it doing and what did you get
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for