Thread: Nice and clear

Thanks

Default Nice and clear

Was just checking out the webcams, looks pretty clear considering it's -13F at the summit, w/82mph winds (-56F windchill)

Even the west view has a view which is a rarity.

The ravines looks like someone forgot to reset the camera though

Kirk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    Was just checking out the webcams, looks pretty clear considering it's -13F at the summit, w/82mph winds (-56F windchill)

Even the west view has a view which is a rarity.

The ravines looks like someone forgot to reset the camera though

Kirk
    I think what happened with the west view cam is the ice actually evaporated off the window. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default To air is human. To vapor, sublime.

Well, the right word is "sublimated", when a solid becomes a gas without passing through the liquid phase, however I don't believe that happened here. The summit staff can chime in here, but I believe it blew off. The photo archive shows the last picture of January 18 had a bit of ice still on the window (see below). The temperature record (don't have a link to that, sorry) shows a plunge of about 14 degrees. I also see that between 9:00 and 14:00 that day, the wind speed picked up to hurricane force (>74 MPH) and shifted from the south to the west, directly against that window. These changed were not a coincidence, but the ice's grip on the window was loosened by contraction due to cooling and the wind did the rest.

On a lighter note, you can remove gum from the under side of a desk by using an upside down can of air to freeze it.

And that's today's computer guy physics lesson.

Gosh, this is nice:

and this:

Super nova:

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    I think what happened with the west view cam is the ice actually evaporated off the window. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.