Thread: Reputable Guides?

Thanks

Default Reputable Guides?

I am itching to do a winter ascent of Washington over Spring Break in early March and will most likely do it through a guide service. What are some companies that I should consider?

BTW, I have some winter hiking experience, the most extreme of which was a sub-zero traverse of the Roan Highlands (Mostly exposed balds) on the AT during the night. However, it required no crampons or ice picks and the grade was not nearly that of Washington.

Thanks

Default guide services

I have used Eastern Mountain Sports Climbing School at least a two dozen times for various trips and have always had a good experience. I've taken their overnight observatory trip at least 10 times as well as a couple of 1 day ascents plus some rock and ice climbing courses. Never had a bad experience. Their former director, Joe Lentini now guides privately - you can reach him at "climbwithjoe.com" if you want a more personal experience. He has several hundred winter ascents of Mt Washington, so you won't find a more experienced guide on that mountain. He has a wealth of knowledge - I have climbed with him when he was with EMS as well as privately and he is top notch. While I have no personal experience with them, I have heard good things about IME, Mooney Mountain Guides and Chauvin as well.
    Hope this helps.
    Tim

Thanks

Thanks so much. I'll look into each of those.

Thanks

I have been out with IMCS in North Conway. But it was part of a organized trip and there were lots of people. Considering all that, i had a nice experience with them.