Thread: Possible career change?

Thanks

Default Possible career change?

Ive been looking into a change in careers, but not sure I want to go back to school to do it. Ive always been interested in weather, but have no idea what area of weather I would be interested in studying. Ive always watched The Weather Channel, especially during severe weather like big Nor'Easters and such where Ill keep it on all day long. I guess you could say it fascinates me. Can you guys recommend a good starting point, such as texts or classes I should look into to learn more? Are there any sort of areas I could get my foot into the door without going through years of schooling and degrees?

Thanks

Two options.

1) Become a skywarn spotter...a certification through the NWS, info can be found at weather.gov.

2) Penn State has an online certificate program...I don't know much more about it, but perhaps someone does...

Good Luck!

Thanks

Default Weather Conference

Hello! I'm not sure where you live but if you're interested in weather a great event to attend is the Southern New England Weather Conference hosted by the Blue Hills Observatory (in Milton, MA). This year the weather conference is being held at Dexter Academy (20 Newton Steet) in Brookline MA. The date is this Saturday, October 28th (hope it's not too late if you want to go). Check out www.sneweathercong.org for the agenda and registration information. My husband and I have been going to the conference for the past couple of years. It will really get you fired up about being more of a weather geek. It's a fun day and great opportunity to learn from the pros.
    Hope you get this message and can make it to the conference.
    Debbie and Paul

Thanks

Default becoming a meteorologist

Ryan,
    Check out Penn states website like afmrintrn said. i have checked into as well and it costs $404 a credit hour. Or check out the weatherwise magazine. They have all the schools that offer classes and the cost and alll tha jazz.

Thanks

Default Weather seminat this past weekend

Debbie,
    How was the seminar this past weekend. My wife and I just moved to NH and i didnt see anyhting about it until Friday and it was too late. But next year I am going for sure. any big name speakers there?

Thanks

Default Weather Conference

Hello AlpineHikerFan,

The Weather Conference was awesome . It was very appropriate to be attending on a stormy day. The discussions were interesting and educational. I like that they were at a level that weather enthusiasts and professionals can both enjoy and learn from. The powerpoints from the conference should be posted on the website at www.sneweatherconf.org within the next week or so...check them out. As for famous folks, Harvey Leonard, Paul Kocin, and Elliot Abrams were there, as well as many other TV weather personalities. The highlight of the day is always Joe D'Aleo's presentation on the upcoming winter. He is a climatologist with a great sense of humor and a favorite of the conference. Plan on snow this winter due to a weak El Nino with the sun at a solar minimum and a westerly QBO (quasi-biennial oscillation). See the fun you missed!? Nice to "meet" another weather enthusiast (geek ).
    Debbie