Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More hikers missing 2/11 on Franconia...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimS
    The classic view of the ridge from Lonesome Lake...
    That photo is no good...it doesn't even look like NH. Looks more like the Canadian Rockies. Just kidding, thanks for sharing.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

In the press release it says that Osborne was removed from the mountain first at 8:50 PM and Fredrickson at 9:35 PM. It also said that Fredrickson was in worse shape than Osborne. Did they remove them in that order because they new there was no hope for Fredrickson? Not sure of the reasoning here.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    In the press release it says that Osborne was removed from the mountain first at 8:50 PM and Fredrickson at 9:35 PM. It also said that Fredrickson was in worse shape than Osborne. Did they remove them in that order because they new there was no hope for Fredrickson? Not sure of the reasoning here.
    Not to speculate...but yes. Osborne was removed first because he was and is still alive.

Jim posted the weather chart for Sunday on another forum. You can almost pinpoint to the minute things started to go bad for them.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I can understand the situation was critical for both so I guess rather than lose both of them the logical thing to do is to take the one who at least has a chance of surviving, as apposed to losing them both.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

here is one of my panos from cannon

http://public.fotki.com/lwa11/best-o...pano17307.html

Thanks

More than likely (speculating here) Mr. Fredrickson was already gone at that point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc
    More than likely (speculating here) Mr. Fredrickson was already gone at that point.
    That's what I was trying to get at.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Decision

Unfortunately rescuers are forced to make decisions like this in these situations. Tend to the ones who have the best chance of surviving or recovery first. Just a nasty fact of being in that business.

I hate that fellow hikers lose their lives in the White Mountains, but it is a fact of life. I pray there are no more for a while. No more ever, but I know it's a risky business, especially in winter. A shame this had to happen, I just hope others will learn from it. I have learned to make no judgement. Despite the best planning and equipment, the weather can be fickle and conditions change in a heartbeat.

The mountain gods have smiled on me and my little troop over and over and I consider myself blessed. I have learned to respect, not fear them, and I hope they continue to smile on us. My way of giving back is to share what I know about them, and I hope, I HOPE, that through my meager knowledge of their ways I can spare someone else their wrath.

Please stay safe out there. If forecasts are bad, change your plans, stay below tree line. If conditions turn bad, turn around, get back in the trees, get down out of the wind. Turn around before you can't see the next cairn. Respect the wind. The mountain will still be there next time.

KDT

Thanks

I live in Portland and was out taking pictures of birds on Sunday
    afternoon when the front came through my area. Things changed within a
    minute.

Here is a picture of a police car 50 yards away. Just minutes before
    this I could see across the harbour and into the City which is a mile
    or so away.

Things change so quickly. The ridge hikes are wonderful but not the
    place to be when things turn.

http://public.fotki.com/lwa11/2008/f.../21008002.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Not to speculate...but yes. Osborne was removed first because he was and is still alive.

Jim posted the weather chart for Sunday on another forum. You can almost pinpoint to the minute things started to go bad for them.
    Here's that frame...I imagine that without snowshoes, things weren't good for them before this point, but when the wind force quadrouples in a matter of 15 minutes to unmanageable, you definately have a bad to much worse situation...

MWO Conditions Sunday
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386