Thread: Lonesome Lake

Thanks

Default Lonesome Lake

I was wondering if anyone has advice for what would be needed for a night at the hut in the winter. I have a 20 degree bag and was wondering if it is warm enough in there for that.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd
    lloydsjourney.com

Thanks

The problem with lonesome in the winter is that the bunkhouses are detached, with no heat. I wouldn't head there with anything less than a zero, and would consider a -20 bag. EMS in North Conway rents them for good rates, and it's a good time of year to buy them.

On the upside...the trail in (basin cascades) is nice, the hut is fantastic, and the view even better!!!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

I agree. If it was 20 degrees and you only have a 20 degree bag you'd be cold. If it was zero and you had a zero degree bag you'd also be cold.
    Last edited by Bill O; 02-12-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Yeah, I have the EMS -20 bag and I love it. It is the best bag I have had yet. Packs in great and pretty light weight. This bag is like an oven for those cold nights.
    Think Snow

Thanks

Thanks. I will check out a new bag. How about things like water? Is it all frozen or does the hut have some running? Stove usage? Or bring cold food for a day?

Thanks

The hut has a well, hand pump, with an informal limit on water use. You can use the hut stove, there are sign up times.

Pack in a log for the heating woodstove and the caretakers are less likely to stinge.
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

This is a good bag, as others have stated, and is a good deal right now!
    http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...=1202919199098
    ~Andy Rooney

Thanks

We had a great night last winter at LL Hut in January, but I have to say it was 4 degrees outside and 4 degrees inside. There were snow drifts inside our bunk room. No kidding. The only thing that the rooms really provide is wind-break. We each have a Montbell Down Hugger bag.

Regarding the kitchen, there's a propane fridge where you can keep anything that you don't want to freeze (food, contact lense solution, etc). The propane stove is available for meal prep. We were there on a Wednesday so there were only 4 guests and 1 caretaker. No lines to cook dinner.

Overall, the hut is heated which means that the wood stove runs from 4pm to about 9pm. It got up to about 40 degrees in there.