Thread: East Pond Trail

Thanks

Question East Pond Trail

We will be visiting the White Mountains the week of 2/24 and were thinking about doing the trail from the Kancamagus Highway to East Pond. Is this a frequently used trail that might be broken out? I know it will be hard to predict exactly what the trail will look like but any information would be most helpful. We saw the video on YouTube called October Snow and thought this might be a good hike considering that we are not quite in shape for higher elevations.
    Thanks

Thanks

Default Trail Conditions

I can't find any recent report on this trail on any of the other hiking forums. I have never done it. Forestgnome may have a lot of info. You could try a pm to him.

My guess is that everything off of the Kanc will be packed out. That being said, I can tell you that most other trails have a ton of snow, covered in a thick, icy crust. If you do have to break trail, it will be slow and difficult. I assume you have snowshoes. If you don't and you have to break trail, please don't posthole. Find another trail that is broken out. You should always have a back up plan in place, anyway. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir, I don't know how familiar with winter hiking you are.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 02-15-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

Smile East Pond Trail

KD,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, we've been hiking in the White Mountains for the past l7 years and have bagged many 4000 footers; including (in winter) Moosilauke, Willey, Cannon, Liberty, Jackson ...(barebooting, snowshoeing and with crampons). Just this past Fall we hiked Adams, Carrigan and Garfield. With the tremendous amount of snow you've had this winter and may continue to get, our main concern is what we'll encounter. But as they say, "you won't know until you get there". We were hoping to possibly attempt - Waumbek, Cabot, Kinsmans and Moats. Maybe we'll run into you, Jude and Emma on the trail. We enjoy your ghostflowers website as well as Hiker Bob, Hiker Amiga, Poison Ivy and especially Tom and Atticus.
    little d

Thanks

Default Hikes

Waumbek and or Cabot would be good choices if you're worried about "being in shape". The Moats, well, all three is quite a hike. Up and down North, perhaps a loop involving Moat Mountain Trail and Red Ridge Trail from Diana's Baths would be on a par with Waumbek and Cabot. There is a difficult water crossing that could be swollen from recent rain. There is more expected Sunday/Monday. It's usually snow in the mountains, but you never can tell. The Kinsmans are a difficult winter hike. IMO, easier from the west on Mount Kinsman Trail than from the east on Lonesome Lake/Fishin Jimmy/Kinsman Ridge.

Trip reports I have been reading suggest conditions are OK. There is deep snow under trees, and crusty snow where the trail is open to the sky. Good luck and enjoy your time in the Whites, I know I always do!

KDT

Thanks

Smile Back From the White Mountains

We arrived in a snow storm and returned in a snow storm (2/22 and 3/1).
    Because of all the snow in the White Mountains and having snowstorms
    (what seemed) every other day we were limited as to which trails we were able to do.
    Here's what we did:
    Saturday 2/23: North and South Double Head; up the Ski trail, down the Old trail, 3.7 miles (RT).
    Sunday 2/24: Mount Hight; up the 19 mile Brook trail to Carter Dome trail to Zeta Pass to Mount Hight, 8.8 miles (RT).
    Monday 2/25: Crosscountry skied and tubed at Great Glens.
    Tuesday 2/26: Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Hermit Lake shelter; 4.6 miles(RT)
    Thursday 2/28: Lonesome Lake Trail to Lonesome Lake shelter; 3.6 miles (RT).
    Friday 2/29: Flume Area; Pemigewasset River Bridge to The Flume to the Sentinel Pine Bridge; approximately 4 miles.

Met up with Tom and Atticus and his friend Christine (for dinner) on Friday 2/29.

We are looking forward to returning to the White Mountains in the Fall.

Thanks

Default Nice!

Sounds like you had a great time! One word question, though... pictures? We like to live vicariously on this forum!

KDT

Thanks

Default Pictures

Actually, we tried attaching a couple pictures and it didn't work. We'll give it another try later.

Thanks

There are limitations to the size of an image when you try to attach it to your post. If you link to it at a photo site there is no limit.

use [img] before and [/img] after the URL to the image - with no spaces.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012