Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another rescue on 2/16/08

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    There is some video here. Nothing too revealing, though.

http://www.wmur.com/news/15327379/detail.html

KDT
    Thanks. I just found that. Looks like it was shot from the ground.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks

Based on the information given do any of you feel he should be charged for the rescue?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks

I wonder what Davis thinks?
    Think Snow

Thanks

Here's another one, Presi traverse hikers missing:

http://www.wmur.com/news/15334219/detail.html

Thanks

Forgive me for posing a question that is too hard to answer. It is an interesting question though with lots of contoversy and questions. I can think of many reasons why and why not he should be charged. If I put myself in his shoes I know I wouldn't want to have to pay for it yet I also have to consider the impact on those who had to come and find me and the risks involved. How do you judge and where do you draw the line where one was properly prepared or improperly prepared? If it is risky for trained search and rescue workers to be out there looking for me who are totally prepared to be out there than how much more risky is it for me to be out there in the first place? I also realize that the risks are higher for the rescue team because they are usually out there while the weather is at it's worst and many times at night with limited visibility. I don't expect anyone to answer these questions, they are just a few that go through my mind when I think about these things with my limited understanding.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Based on the information given do any of you feel he should be charged for the rescue?
    I'll say no. I'll stick with my prior arguments and ask, what did this rescue really cost?

As for the other questions. All I know is that I would love the opportunity to volunteer for a search and rescue team. Even with the knowledge I may have to help unprepared hikers.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

"Jordan said Davis lacked snowshoes, waterproof boots, a global positioning system, a map and compass, and made the mistake of hiking alone. He also was unaware of the severe weather conditions above the tree line, Jordan said. But Davis had some equipment and was "more prepared than other people," the officer said."

No map or compass, or snowshoes? It IS still winter (notice I didn't mention GPS, even though I think everyone should carry one, but some people are purists)

Thanks

Default Pay

I'm not taking either side of the question, but if it were me, and they saved my arse out there, I would be glad to pay. With a tip, too.

I read in one of the articles that the average charge is about $3000.00. I don't know how true this is. I don't believe everything I read.

SAR are generally volunteers. Free.

Part of the function of F&G is to rescue people, so they're on the clock. Maybe getting paid overtime, maybe not. They're out locating the drunk hunter lost a mile from his pick up as well as the unprepared hiker, so it's a moot point.

The ANG is funded with our federal taxes. The lighter side is they're getting valuable training they may need in a war zone.

There. Now there's some loose worms.

KDT