Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another rescue on 2/16/08

Thanks

This may be an ignorant question but why would anyone opt to walk around barefoot?

Is it really more benificial to take off your boots?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatrix
    This may be an ignorant question but why would anyone opt to walk around barefoot?

Is it really more benificial to take off your boots?
    Who knows.

I doubt he did this on purpose. As Kevin mentioned, severely hypothermic people do very strange things. He may have lost them in the snow. He may have lost his tent and gear in the middle of the night while he was sleeping.

Its not beneficial, and its a sign that things were not going well.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

The article stated he had his boots off because he was trying to dry them. Whether or not that's the case only a couple of people know for sure.

Thanks

Default Barefoot

Billy's right according to what the article says. He was mildly hypothermic and had his boots off to try to dry them. Apparently didn't work out too well.

Of the things he didn't have, snowshoes, water-proof boots, map, compass and GPS, the only things I see as essential, (and this is only my OPINION and I am not an expert on winter hiking), are the water-proof boots and a compass.

He was familiar with the trail, so probably didn't need a map, just a compass to keep him going in the right direction when he couldn't see. Hiking in snow in anything that isn't water-proof, well, fill in your own comment here. Snowshoes, though helpful, are not essential on well packed trails, and crampons are more likely to be needed above tree line. A GPS, well, if it works and the batteries don't drain down in the sub zero wind chills would be a good tool, if you know how to use it properly. Still, I don't see it as essential.

Good boots and a compass are invaluable. Don't go without them.

Still haven't found the missing hikers in Crawford Notch as of the 6PM news. The story says they may have been spotted north of Jefferson, NH at 11:30 am yesterday. I'm relatively certain this should have read "North of Mount Jefferson." They're from Virginia and are supposed to be "experienced hikers". I wonder if that means winter Presidential experienced.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot

Still haven't found the missing hikers in Crawford Notch as of the 6PM news. The story says they may have been spotted north of Jefferson, NH at 11:30 am yesterday. I'm relatively certain this should have read "North of Mount Jefferson." They're from Virginia and are supposed to be "experienced hikers". I wonder if that means winter Presidential experienced.

KDT
    Well, they had some serious winter gear in that photo. Unlike a dayhike, its hard to even undertake a traverse if you are unexperienced. We'll see. These guys should be prepared to hunker down a for a few days.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Missing hikers

I certainly hope this turns out well. Best of luck to them and to the rescuers.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Billy's right according to what the article says. He was mildly hypothermic and had his boots off to try to dry them. Apparently didn't work out too well.

KDT
    Just to state the obvious, how in the ______ can you dry your boots in 60+ mph winds, temps way below freezing up on a ridge, and no campfire? I would say he wasn't thinking clearly. Not as a slam but just as observation.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Unknown

In severe stages of hypothermia people think they feel hot and start to peel off clothing. Many who die from it are found with clothing missing, or a trail of clothes leads the searchers to them. They're saying this was not the case. Don't know how he intended to dry them. Blow dry maybe? At least he's down and not another statistic.

KDT

Thanks

Default Traverse

It was a team of three that started the traverse. Early on Sunday one of the team members headed down a different route to pick up their car. I'm sure this was always the plan. The other two continued on and did not arrive at Crawford Notch as planned.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Another update this morning on the two from Virginia.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...5-41afd6372313
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???