Thread: Osceola 2/16/08

Thanks

Default Osceola 2/16/08

After looking at the forecast for Saturday we decided to head up and do the Osceola's. We figured it might be cold but at least the wind wouldn't be hammering us.

We were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful day we had. While Franconia ridge and the Presi's had their little cloud hats on we were bathed in crystal clear sky's that seemed to go on forever.

The Greeley Ponds section was a great way to get the muscles warmed up for the steep climb ahead. The Osceola trail was easy to follow, you could see the depression of where the trail was and someone had bare booted in the day or so prior. We just had to deal with the few inches of fresh powder that had fallen overnight.

When we got to the first slide crossing the view we were rewarded with was worth the trip even if we didn't continue on. The temps which were expected to be below zero tended to hover around 10 degrees and because of the SE direction of the trail there was no wind.

We continued up to the top of East Osceola and had a quick lunch break and took in the views. From there it was down to the col and up the chimney. We decided to go up the chimney as opposed to the bypass. We could have put on the crampons but the trail had enough fresh snow that we were able to just kick steps in and go up. We continued up and topped out on Osceola around 2:00.

The trip down from East Osceola was a quick one as we glissaded some of the steeper sections.

We managed to get off the mountain and over to Elvios before the Apres-ski crowd filed in.

Some pix here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/engineczar/Osceola2008

Thanks

Default Nice!

Great stuff Billy! Looks like you had a great day. That trail is steep on that side, huh? The way up from Tripoli Rd. is a cakewalk in comparison. Tripoli Rd isn't plowed in winter making it a seven mile walk in to the trailhead from that side, not an option from my standpoint. We turned back at East Osceola last year in extreme cold. Glad you guys had a good hike! Great pics!

KDT

Thanks

Here's a couple of quick video's:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2051463/6475292

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2051429/6474813

First one is the chimney, the second one is crossing the first slide.

Thanks

Your pictures are gorgeous! That slide is something else. I think I'll need to see/do it in summer before I think about these two mountains as a winter hike. Did you have/need an ice ax or was it too fluffy for that? Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Valerie

Thanks

I do have an ice axe but I didn't bring it. The snow was kind of crusty down low and got fluffier about half way up. The slide and the chimney were pretty cool. This shot gives a pretty good idea of how steep the chimney is, excuse my bottom. Look at that sky.

Thanks

Summer, same view, two ...... I mean butts...

Tim

Thanks

You guys bare booted it too.

Thanks

After reading some trip reports on the other forums it doesn't sound like anyone had been up there since I was there a couple of weeks ago. We encountered much of the same as far as breaking trail goes. I'd ask if anyone found my friend Shaun's Nalgene bottle below the slide but from the sounds of it that thing won't turn up until July.