Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just saw the TV ad for LL Bean....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Why NOT film it on the true summit? Unless they needed to film it in July....
    That was the problem, the commercial first aired last fall.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Why NOT film it on the true summit? Unless they needed to film it in July....
    It would have been cheaper to make, that's for sure.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

To shed some light and let sleeping dogs rest, I can help on this one. If you want to keep the magic, stop reading this now.

Lets start with the print ads. The Bean ad agency (four in total) crew came up on April 26, 2006 to shoot the commercials (both print and film). Being late spring, there was snow and rime on the ground. While my fellow observers and I were in meeting, our intern at the time, Rick Giard, put on one of the jackets and accompanied the film crew around to be shot (by film not bullets). So the print ads you see or saw, were actually taken on the summit with an actual (then) staffer.

Next the TV commercial. They originally filmed our intern shoveling a path in the Yankee drift. This is an “L” shaped building on the southern side of the summit that gets huge, wind packed drifts in the winter. When I say huge, I am saying two to three floors high. In late spring, it is about one floor high. So they filmed it but did not sound very happy about the results as they left. They sent us the original concept and I have to admit, it looked cheesy. So they scrapped it. They then went to a glacier in South America along the Argentinean and Chilean border. There is a glacier research center there that mimics the summit structures in a sense. So they hired an actor to shovel (that’s why he looks so uncoordinated). They shot the indoor shots in one of the “sheds” at the research station.

They then showed us a rough cut of the commercial. In the rough cut, you can see peaks in the distance that are high than their shooting location and higher than the summit of Mt. W. You can also see a giant wind fan and people throwing snow up into the fans wind path. You can also see the “sheds” of the glacier research center. The original wording was a bit funnier but I won’t go into that.

In post, they digitally added the summit buildings and views. The shot is as if we were shoveling to get into the Yankee building on the south side. The shed closer to the weather tower is the Cosmo shack that is now shut down. As for the garage, that is not from here, that’s the glacial station. The random poles, antennas and signs are not from here either.

So that’s the magic of computers and Hollywood. I actually like the end product. I especially like how they used the same metal mugs as us. Or as we like to call those mugs “Edutriper light shows” (they stick them in the microwave and anyone who has stuck metal in the microwave, you know what I mean). It is aimed for arm chair summiteers (visitors that have been here briefly once in the summer) not the avid summiteers that know this summit like the back of their hand.

As for the jacket, we beta tested and still have three to four here on the summit. They work in very cold weather. If you are using them in 30F above, they are a bit of over kill. But in 30F below with winds over 100 mph and wind chills 100F below, they work really well, I can attest to that. They have a ton of pocket room, which made holding our winter tools great. They also have a padded butt seat that is great for sitting after skiing a slope, fly fishing or pensive thoughts in your back yard or on the summit of Mt. W.

Thanks

Ryan,

Thanks for the insight from on-site. Those jackets do sound wonderful.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

thanks for letting us know it is still a good TV ad no mater how the had to get it done
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Yea, thanks for reviving the resting dog. I guess I won't be getting the jacket after all. We don't have conditions like that at all down here and the only other time I might need it will be up there volunteering next winter!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???