Thread: Hancocks 2/17/08

Thanks

Default Hancocks 2/17/08

2/17/08
    Mount Hancock 4420’
    and South Hancock 4319’

9.8 Miles 2650’ Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma
    With the recent stories of disastrous hikes in the Whites this winter, we blew off the colder temps of Saturday and held out for warmer temps on Sunday. This was also in the hopes that the trails would be tramped out to improve hiking conditions for ourselves and our little dog, Emma. Despite the well packed trail, Emma chose to spend much of the hike doing what she loves, and spent her time running along the snowbank on top of the frozen snow beside the trail. Now, I know many people believe that the White Mountains in winter is no place for "little" dogs, but if Emma could speak, I'm sure she'd tell them different. Neither Judy nor I would "make" this dog do anything it didn't "want" to do. When she runs along with her nose in the snow, then bounces up and down like a puppy looking for treats, I have a hard time believing she isn't enjoying herself. In fact, after hiking with her for the past eight years, I'd have to say that she, like my wife and I, looks forward to this. I would even go so far as to say she lives for it. That she is in her element when she is on these treks, and if a dog can feel happiness, then she is "happy" to be out on the trail with us. She has done the NH 4k list twice. Several of them more than twice, and she is now half way through her winter list. If Judy and I were stronger hikers and had been serious about the winter list when we started bagging winter 4ks, she may already be done now. There may be bigger, stronger dogs with more macho names that she is following in the footsteps of, but she is an accomplished hiker herself, and neither she nor we are out to prove anything to anybody. This is just what we do, and we enjoy it together. Every hike we marvel at the forest, the streams, the birds, the sky, the mountain vistas and the creatures, four legged and two legged we meet along the trail. We are thankful that we are healthy and are able to get out of our comfortable surroundings on occasion and make these forays into the unknown, and every hike we marvel that this little dog, this little heartbeat at our heel, is just as enthusiastic about the hike as we are. The phrase, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." rings true on every hike. When we are exhausted at the summit, she prods us to move on. We want to thank all the millions of people who have gone out before us, a hundred and fifty years ago, and yesterday. Those who laid out the trails, those who maintained them, and those who tramped the snow down so we could make the hike in relative safety and comfort. Conditions yesterday were excellent, mild temps, little wind, starting out with blue skies and then being able to watch the front move in with little fear of being caught in whiteout conditions because of the excellent work of the weather forecasters. We met a very nice couple, Dave and Amanda, on their first hike to the Hancocks. They did us a big favor and I want to thank them. Jude lost her camera butt sliding off of South Hancock, and they found and returned it. If anyone was there yesterday and lost an insulated water bottle holder complete with a nalgene water bottle on South Hancock, please contact me and I will return it.

More pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns40...ocks21708.html

KDT

Thanks

Kevin,

Nothing to be worried about from me when it comes to dogs. You can see in all your pictures how much Emma loves it. Being a dog owner/lover I always enjoy seeing folks out there enjoying themselves with their best friend. Has Emma tried glissading yet? At least on purpose.

Thanks

Default Glissading dogs!

Yeah, we had some hairy going on boilerplate ice on Mount Moriah on an earlier trip. She'd run up fine, but then want to turn around and make sure we were coming, and swoosh, down she'd come out of control. After a couple of these we carried her across a few sections of ice.

KDT

Thanks

Not to get off subject.......In the book "Our Mountain Trips" when he refers to carrying a rubber blanket is he talking about something like a tarp?

Thanks

Default Rubber blanket

I'd say it is the equivalent of a modern day tarp. They used to wrap all their gear in them in a "doughnut" to keep it dry, then sleep on top of it to keep them dry, or wrap it over them in the rain. Must have been a lot of fun to lug around the mountains.

KDT

Thanks

Ah to be in a different time. I get a kick out of the meals, I wonder if I could do boiled potato's in my Jet-boil.

Thanks

Default and beans!

I like the expense account at the end of every trip. 12 bucks! Meals, lodging, train fare, a horse and buggy. And I love the pictures. I recognize so many and it is comforting that people had the foresight to preserve these places so that they look the same today for our enjoyment. There is still some good left in the world!

KDT

Thanks

Great shot of Pine Marten, what a great coat he has, looks real healthy!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.