What are your plans in regards to camping? This time of year and with all the snow you're probably looking at 1-2 nights out.
Good news on battery performance. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can.
As far as camping, we’re hoping to have a strong first day and spend the night at Sphinx Col. The last time I made an attempt we spent the first night at Edmunds Col before having to bail out due to zero visibility. I’m planning for an earlier start this time and hoping the extra legwork will enable us to make it down to Crawford Notch on the second day.
If we can’t get to Sphinx Col by nightfall, we’ll most likely end up in Edmunds Col (above tree line; if the weather cooperates) or down the Israel Ridge near the intersection of Grey Knob and the Randolph Path (below tree line; if the weather doesn’t cooperate). If necessary, we’ll spend the second night somewhere along the Crawford Path.
It’s looking like it will be fairly windy and snowy next weekend, so who knows what kind of progress we’ll make.
Oh, I also thought I’d mention the most important feature of winter trip to the Presidentials: BBQ at the Yankee Smokehouse (www.yankeesmokehouse.com) on 16 south of North Conway. I’ve been going there for ten years and have to say that a pulled pork sandwich is the best way to forget the taste of freeze dried chili mac n’ cheese.
I was going to mention, for those who are interested, that I have a handy little spreadsheet I made that shows elevation, distance, and time info for the basic traverse (Valley Way > Gulfside > Crawford Path). I’d be more than happy to email it to anyone who’d like it. Just send me a PM with your email address.
I will sadly not be doing the traverse this weekend. I was diagnosed with bronchitis on Tuesday. Well, I am still hacking up yellow chunks from my lungs. The doctor told me if I did try the traverse I would most likely end up in the hospital even sicker. I tried to go outside today and the cold air made my lungs feel like they were on fire! Just walking around the house gets me winded. Hopefully you guys have fun. It looks like it will be a fun and adventurous weekend! I am jealous!
Hopefully you will feel better soon!
Is there really any BAD
Anyone still attempting it this weekend? When are you starting out?
Think we are still going to give it a try...summit Madison and see what conditions are, and call it from there. Will try to get to Sphinx for Sat nite as well.
We are a group of 2...wouldn't mind hooking up with another small group.....
I'm heading up there next weekend.
Looking at the forecast it doesn't look too good for all living things above treeline tonight and tomorrow. Take a close look at the forecast and remember Mt. Washington isn't going anywhere. If you do decide to go be safe.
So how did the traverse go ?
posted a brief report under 'traverse attempt/lost water bottle'.....essentially we made it somewhat past Thunderstorm Junction, lost the cairns, and spent Saturday night above treeline in the wind and snow.
The traverse continues to elude me!
I am doing it this weekend with a guided service. Will let you guys know how it goes.