Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MWO Forum Activity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gorque
    First post here. It's not that I'm afraid to post, it's just that I don't believe I have anything that is meaningful post.

Other than this post, what was made to let all know that I'm not afraid to post.

PS: More smilies are needed.
    We welcome you to the forum!

Maybe some of these from another forum will work here...

They work, but they show up differently than on the other forum software.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

up to 79 users at once

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    We welcome you to the forum!

Maybe some of these from another forum will work here...

They work, but they show up differently than on the other forum software.
    Thanx for the heads-up on the smilies and for the welcome.
    Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance
    its permanent qualities were enhanced by the weather. H.D. Thoreau

Thanks

We seem to be heading back to the doldrums this forum suffered during the summer. I'm not sure why, the number of members continues to grow.

So, all you new members please post! Favorite trails, weather conditions, White Mountain stories, Mount Washington news, trail conditions...whatever.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

My view regarding the low post traffic is that many of the members already belong to one or more hiking related forums and feel repeating posts on yet another forum to be bad form.

Perhaps the same goes for other areas of interest such as meteorology (did I spell that right?).

I for one only recently found the forum following a more prominent mention on the main page so visitor awareness is another issue.

The opportunity for dialog with MWO personel has a lot of potential for inviting more activity. Where else could one ask "What are conditions like on the Rockpile?" and have the response be, "Hang on, I'll pop outside and take a look!"

Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HikerBob
    My view regarding the low post traffic is that many of the members already belong to one or more hiking related forums and feel repeating posts on yet another forum to be bad form.
    It is in no way bad form to repeat topics across entirely different forums. I actively contrinute to only two forums. A storm chaser/weather forum and this one. I'm not involved in any other hiking forums, and I find Time For Tuckerman to be full of too much noise (entire threads of smileys, and only smileys).

It would only bad form to cover the same topic in two different threads on the same forum.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerBob
    The opportunity for dialog with MWO personel has a lot of potential for inviting more activity. Where else could one ask "What are conditions like on the Rockpile?" and have the response be, "Hang on, I'll pop outside and take a look!"
    I'm not sure what the current policy is on this. I know the observers are very busy during the day, especially when there is bad weather. There also might be some liability risk if the observers are saying, "weather is great, head on up to the summit."
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I'm not sure what the current policy is on this... ...There also might be some liability risk if the observers are saying, "weather is great, head on up to the summit."
    My suggestion was rather flip but intended to illustrate the unique fount of knowledge available to this forum.

Though I have seen woefully unprepared hikers in all situations I would hope nobody would base their trip planning solely on a single source. Particularly in winter I gather as much recent information about my intended routes as possible.

Trail conditions reports, trip reports, various weather forecasts are fine but when I leave home at 2am for the long drive up to the Whites some more immediate information would be useful. The new current conditions page is a real boon.

Bob

Thanks

It would be nice, as funding and membership grows, to have more real time data and images available to us off the peaks - not just the summit. Maybe the huts can be a base to provide the data feeds back to the summit for broadcasting to us.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012