Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August Trip Planning

Thanks

Default August Trip Planning

A couple of friends and I are planning a trip to the Whites in August and we all have slightly different goals. One friend is a fisherman/camper who enjoys hiking to get him it to where he can fish/camp. The other enjoys camping/fishing and hiking to get him in to where he can camp/fish, and I am a hiker who enjoys fishing/camping while I am out hiking. What we are looking for is somewhere we can get the best of all these things if that is possible. We would like to do this as primitively as possible, which means camping off trail and not in a campground or shelter, preferably near a good fishable stream and close enough to a mountain with a nice hike to the summit with a great view. Where ever we hike in to we must hike out the same way or do a loop. The hike needs to be challenging but not overexerting. We are planning for 5 days. We are open to suggestions so if anyone has ideas please feel free to comment.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default fishin' hole

Hey Steve...

I've always liked Zealand Pond for fly fishing. I think the hike in is just over 2 miles, small pond, shallow (fish the bottom) and in past years it had some nice brook trout.

Although I didn't have any luck last year, in past years it's held some nice brookies! I think you can camp near by...
    ~Rich

Thanks

Thanks Rich,

I'll look into that and see what the guys think.
    Steve

Thanks

Default Isolation

You can camp at the tentsites at the junction of the Isolation Trail and Davis Path, fish the Rocky Branch and climb Mount Isolation or Washington.
    The views from Isolation are fantastic, and you can't get much more "Isolated" in the Whites. If you decide to do this, let me know. I might have to crash your party!

KDT

Thanks

I've heard that area is not among the more popular for your average day hikers. I didn't know there was good fishing there though. how large is the rocky branch?
    Steve

Thanks

Alright, I need to clarify what I was trying to say in my last post since a friend of mine thought I was saying this was not a good hike. What I was trying to say is that less people do this hike than lets say Tuck's or Lions head so it would be more isolated. I like the idea of being close enough to hit Isolation, Boott spur, and the MW summit since these guys have never been hiking in the Whites.
    Steve

Thanks

Default Fishin'

This is about a seven and 1/2 mile hike along the Rocky Branch Trail to the Isolation Trail to the summit of Isolation. When you hit the Isolation Trail you follow along the Rocky Branch pretty much until you hit the Davis Path. There are several campsites along the way, and the Rocky Branch Shelter. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, the Rocky Branch may be very low and not really good fishing. It may be tough to find good fishing in any of the mountain streams in August, it depends. I'll think about some other places that might be good.

KDT

Thanks

Thanks KD.
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Hey Steve...

I've always liked Zealand Pond for fly fishing. I think the hike in is just over 2 miles, small pond, shallow (fish the bottom) and in past years it had some nice brook trout.

Although I didn't have any luck last year, in past years it's held some nice brookies! I think you can camp near by...
    Question for ya Rich,

Is Zealand pond the beginning of a brook or somewhere in the middle??
    Steve

Thanks

Just to throw this out there, just because we gave a criteria for our trip doesn't mean we are not interested in anything outside of that box. These guys have never been in the Whites and have an idea of what they want to accomplish but are limited (as I am compared to a lot of you out there) in their understanding of the area. I basically know all the roads and towns and have been on many of the more popular hikes but when it comes to the wilderness areas and less popular trails they are uncharted territory for me.

KD. Maybe you should come along as our guide, so pick somewhere uber that will make our wives jealous!
    Last edited by Steve M; 02-26-2008 at 09:40 AM.
    Steve