Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Question

Thanks

Default Equipment Question

I am looking for a good jacket (prefer pullovers) to wear over my warm layers to block out the wind. I would like to buy something that I can as a top layer to beat the high winds that the mountain can bring three seasons a year. The warmth factor isn't as important and the ability for it to stop the wind. I am a tall thinner male so if anyone has any expirience with this topic, both pros and cons please let me know. Thanks and see you on the mountain!
    Kevin (MeridenFF)
    Last one to the top buys the first beer!

Thanks

I recently bought an EMS Men's Orion SYNC Jacket - http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...=1204250844566

It's done very well for me, as a hard shell, for windproofing and rainproofing. It sheds snow well too. I've worn it over a down coat from the hut to the summit of Madison in ~50 mph winds and was quite toasty.

Action Shot:

HTH,
    Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 02-28-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks

Are you looking for something water proof or just wind proof?

Either way, I think pullovers died with the 90's. Unless you are looking for a shirt, jackets are pretty much all full zip these days.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I have a Burton Snowboard jacket that's a pullover...oh wait, I got that in the 90's ....

Kirk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    I have a Burton Snowboard jacket that's a pullover...oh wait, I got that in the 90's ....

Kirk
    It matches your Ocean Pacific tee shirt and Members Only jacket.

Thanks

Default jacket

I too had a pullover in the 90's, but the full zips are much more versatile. I currently wear a mountain hardwear auguille. With the full pit zips and of course the front zipper and pocket zippers it ventilates very well. Sometimes the wind picks up and you need the hard shell, then the wind dies down for a bit and you can cook in a jacket that doesn't ventilate well. One trick I learned with a jacket that has pit zips is when you start to heat up if there's a lull in the wind, you can unzip the sleeves and put your arms through the pit zips - kind of wearing it like a shawl - do this after you put your pack on. If you get cold - just slip your arms back into the sleeves and you're good to go.
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by climbabout; 02-29-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

I was more of a Quiksilver and Jimmy'Z guy. I did have the Members Only jacket but that was in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc
    It matches your Ocean Pacific tee shirt and Members Only jacket.

Thanks

Wow.. I didn't think I would take so much heat over preferring a pull over. Ok with that out of the question, what jackets would you all recommend. I am looking for wind, I have a good light weight rain jacket I could put over what ever I wear. Thanks
    Kevin (MeridenFF)
    Last one to the top buys the first beer!

Thanks

I think I missed the point of your original question.

I typically would consider wind and rain to be covered by one full zip jacket, but you are looking for a shirt that provides wind resistance.

There are several companies that make wind resistance shirts. I'm sure REI, EMS and LL Bean all have what you are looking for. I have an Arc Teryx shirt that is wind resistant and slightly water resistant. It is by no means a jacket, but it gets a lot of use.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default clothing

you'll like this one oh and its a pull over too
    Alpha SL Pullover S08

ok and heres a good one its light warm and wind-proof (and surprisingly cheap)
    (this is the mid layer)
    EMS Men's Divergence Fleece SYNC Jacket
    Last edited by mocomedic; 03-07-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway