Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for help from the top

Thanks

Default looking for help from the top

Thinking about coming up the rock pile some time next week but just want to know what footing is up there right now. Will I need full Crampons or will step ins be alright. Will I need ice Ax or can I get by without it. The main concern is post holing. Am I correct in thinking that there is not enough snow to post hole. If you could just give alittle oversight of what the rockpile has for me I would much appreciate it. Thanks!!

Thanks

I found this report from the presidentails on another hiking forum. It states what I thought...early season hiking means varied condtitions, and with rotten rime between rocks, unpleasant hiking, as you fall between them. I suspect if they get more snow or rain in the next week, you'll get more consistent conditions...

REPORT:

Trail: Crawford Path to Mt. Pierce, Mt. Eisenhower & Edmands Path descent
    Date Hiked: 11/04/2006

Conditions: Left Crawford Notch around 8:00 am. Ascent up Crawford Notch trail was (about 2-4") snow covered with icy patches most of the way. YakTrax worked perfectly. Barefooting would have been very difficult. Crampons would have been overkill. Along the Crawford Notch trail, the Mt. Eisenhower bypass trail and the top portion of the Edmands Path trail, the snow was a little deeper (4 - 18") occasionally covering gaps between rocks where a foot would fall between the rocks. If you took your time, you were fine. Snow shoes would have been helpful, but not necessary along this portion. The winds on both the north and south side of Mt. Eisenhower, were very strong. (It seemed like 70-90 MPH sustained winds.) This made it difficult to find the cutoff for the Edmands Path trail. Decending the Edmands Path trail was difficult due to the snow (18 - 24" the top quarter to half a mile), and steepness. However, climbing up Edmands Path would have been even more difficult. Once we got below tree line on Edmands Path, the conditions were similar to the lower portion of the Crawford Path trail (2-6" of snow with some icy patches.) Again, YakTrax helped tremendously. Crampons would have been an overkill. Several downed trees on the Edmands Path trail, but you could walk around, over or under all of them.

Special Required Equipment: YakTrax or cleats - essential. Snowshoes above treeline - helpful, but not essential. Hand warmer packets above treeline - useful. Face protection above treeline - esstential.

Comments: Easier to hike this loop ascending Crawford Path trail and descending Edmands trail due to the steepness and snow depth at the top portion of the Edmands Path trail.

Submitted by: Roy Van Buren

Thanks

Default Looks to be wild on top

Seems like a wild time to hike Washington!! The hike from the treeline up to the top with all the snow, ice and rime ice looks to be extremely difficult Now have to decide whether or not I want to drive 5 hours to attempt the mountain with these conditions. I guess the one thing to remember is " Being in N.H. will ALWAYS be better than being in Jersey.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    I guess the one thing to remember is " Being in N.H. will ALWAYS be better than being in Jersey.

sounds like a plan to me .

i'd rather be there then PA

Thanks

According to the latest Observer Comments an EMS guided trip made it to the summit over the weekend. I think that pretty much answers your questions.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    According to the latest Observer Comments an EMS guided trip made it to the summit over the weekend. I think that pretty much answers your questions.
    And they never stood on the deck to have the Deck Camera get their picture!
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Washington here I come. If I make it to the top I will make sure to be there on the 1/4 hour and pose for the camera. I will try to summit on Wed. going up Lions Head.

Thanks

Default New Jersey and New Hampshire

Rockin Rex,
    I am fellow Jerseyean. Left there after all my life to move to Richmond, Va, couldnt stand it there, left there where I met the wife to go to Baltimore, another dump. Trust me NJ is so much better than those 2 places, but now, I am in heaven in southern central NH , about 2 hours from the Rock Pile. i grew up in Rockaway and then moved to Lafayette, NJ up north there. That wasnt too bad, but Nh is the place to be. Come on up. We just moved here 3 months ago, and it has been awesome. So sell the place in Jersey and move on up, LOL
    I could use some hiking partners for next spring when I get into shape again. LOLm

Thanks

Smile I made it 11-8 ,10:45

Summited on 11-08. What a hike. It is definetly winter on the rock pile. The snow line was at the lower Huntington Ravine cut off from Tucks trail.
    Took Lions head summer route up and from the cut off from tucks up to Alpine Garden the trail is difficult. The slabs on Lions Head are snow and ice covered and some kind of traction is a must! From Alpine Garden to the Run in with the Tuckermans Trail is a bad post hole area. I kept falling thru into the streams below. Difficult little section to get thru. From Tucks run in up to the top is very nice. Most rocks have been filled in and it is just a sweet climb up. It was an incredible hike!! One word of caution!!!! Until they put in the winter route over lions head be careful on lions head traverse. This area has been well filled in with snow and it was the only place I was really scared. One wrong slip and you are off for a LONG uncomfortable ride down. Nothing like the rock pile in winter.

Thanks

Default Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Climbed to Monroe on the Ammo Trail Saturday. Because of a late start and unwilling hiking partner did not attempt the summit of Washington. Weather was better than when we summited by Ammo to Crawford on September 22nd. No hat nor gloves needed on Monroe. Bright sun, no wind. The conditions were much more like winter letting go than just getting started. The waterfalls were roaring and there was very little snow left on the trail. We used yak traks for first time ever. The trail was mostly exposed rock with snow in between which beat the hell out of the yaktraks, both of us broke one, so twenty dollar investment down the tube. They worked good, but not made for scrambling over rocks. Crampons would have been way overkill. Lesson is don't use yaktraks unless there's a good snowbase. As we descended around 2PM we saw a young man on the way up through the snow in sneakers and minimal gear if he had any. His feet were already soaked. He asked the usual, "How much further?" I answered it was about 2 more miles to the summit, but he should stop at the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, take in the view and then get the hell down before darkness. I hope he took my advice. Honestly, I can't imagine what some people are thinking when they head out totally unprepared like that, but I see it all the time. I always wonder if I'll find their bleached bones next spring. Will have pictures posted on my website of this trip by tonight.

http://ghostflowers.com/