Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbolt Ski Trail

Thanks

Default Thunderbolt Ski Trail

I'm planning a trip the Thunderbolt Ski Trail on Greylock this winter. I'm looking for any and all information pertaining to when the best time to ski is, where to camp, what the trail and the skiing is like, trailheads, etc. Any information is welcomed appreciatively.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

I think I can dig up some info on this trail, its covered in a ski guide book I have. The biggest issue I see is snowfall. You need to time it after a big storm when a sufficient snowpack has built up. I'm not entirely convinced this area accumulates a snowpack anymore.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

There's an 8 page section in the AMC: "Bakccountry Skiing Adventures, Vermont & New York" book.

Nothing about camping though.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

From what I saw at the top of Greylock about three weeks ago, the area still accumulates a signifigant snowpack. I think that some of their snow lasted through the summer this year, but I'm not sure.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidhowland14
    From what I saw at the top of Greylock about three weeks ago, the area still accumulates a signifigant snowpack. I think that some of their snow lasted through the summer this year, but I'm not sure.
    I'm positive the snow on Greylock did not last through the summer. I could see the snow lasting through May, but at 3,000 feet that is pushing it. To beat 90 degree days you'd probably need 100 feet of snow to make it through summer. That is what they get in WA at 6,000 feet and it still melts out.

My guess is that it has been decades since Mount Washington kept some snow through summer. Maybe after the big 68-69 winter. I saw a large snow pile in Tucks in August 1996, but even that melted out.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

oh well, anyway...if anyone knows when the best time for getting snow on Greylock is, pls. post it here.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

At 3,400 feet Greylock probably does get some decent snow.

As for the best time to ski Greylock, I'm not sure. The deepest snowpacks in New England are mid-March to mid-April....on average. But the farther south you get the standard deviation on that grows.

Or you could time it after a big Nor'easter, which tend to hit that area hard. Keep an eye on Jiminy Peak and Mount Snow storm reports. Jiminy Peak is near by and Mount Snow is about the same altitude (25 miles away).
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks

Hmmm thats sounds like an interesting weekend trip. The trail looks like it might be awesome if we would ever get some real snow. If we do I might just have to head up there and try it.

Thanks

Default Thunderbolt ski trail

You should check out the video titled EPOCH, by Meathead Productions. It's a great backcountry ski video which pays homage to the early skiers of Mts. Marcy, Greylock, Mansfield, Washington, and Katahdin. Meathead Productions is a group of young guys from the Burlington, VT area who ski all 5 peaks, providing history and a reasonable amount of information valuable to those of us who might also ski these peaks.