Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to wear

Thanks

Default What to wear

me and a group of friends plan on hiking Mt. Washington in mid April. the last time we went there was alot of snow on the ground and most of us were not prepared at all... what would be the best thing to wear (jacket, pants, shorts? boots etc) for Mt. Washington in April?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ityler
    me and a group of friends plan on hiking Mt. Washington in mid April. the last time we went there was alot of snow on the ground and most of us were not prepared at all... what would be the best thing to wear (jacket, pants, shorts? boots etc) for Mt. Washington in April?
    Seems like you answered your own question. If you were too cold you needed more clothes.

The best bet is to layer your clothes. If its sunny and warm you may want to be in shorts for the hike up. But if it gets cloudy it can get cold quickly so you want warm clothes. A hat goes a long way to keeping you warm.

Considering I saw five people almost get trapped in an avalanche in mid-April its too early to be playing around on Mount Washington. April can be very winter like.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Even May can be very winter like. We were up there towards the end of May two years ago and my daughter and I hiked up into 6-8 inches of snow on the southern Presidential's with temps in the low to mid 30's.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default July 1st 2006

Nuff said!

KDT

Thanks

This year you might be able to put August 1st on that picture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc
    This year you might be able to put August 1st on that picture.
    Good point. Should we plan on bringing crampons for STP?
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

the average temp @ mt washington in april is 22.9 degrees with a record low of -20 in 1995. definetly use the layering system http://www.rei.com/learn/Camping/rei...ADVICE_CAMPING

REI has a crazy library of free information heres they link that will give you the information to make a perfect clothing set-up.

above all realize that this peak is known for its title having "the worlds worst weather" we all need to respect that and prepare for the worst.
    "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

Thanks

I actually believe those transition months in the early spring and late fall are the most dangerous. The middle of February is easy, just plan for cold. April? Who knows what you're going to get.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc
    I actually believe those transition months in the early spring and late fall are the most dangerous. The middle of February is easy, just plan for cold. April? Who knows what you're going to get.
    Not to mention stream crossings and other trail conditions.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Clothing

I would generally be taking the same clothing for an April Climb as I would mid-winter - the seasons on Mount Washington follow their own schedule. Synthetic skin layer top and bottom/wool or synthetic socks/mountaineering boots/crampons/ice ax/windproof pants/goretex pants with side zips/lightweight fleece top/heavier fleece top/goretex jacket/ hat/gloves/mittens/down or synthetic parka for rest breaks or emergency/ and a sleeping bag/and bivy sack and shovel. In all likelihood, most of this would be in my pack, but I would have it with me nonetheless. Warm sunny starts turn into bitter cold windy afternoons with astounding regularity.
    Tim