Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 21st climb

Thanks

Default friday 3/21

Not much to report from Friday - the mountain wasn't fit for man or beast. Temps were around 10 deg but with very high winds - we hiked up to about the fire road off of tucks trail before turning around.
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout
    Not much to report from Friday - the mountain wasn't fit for man or beast. Temps were around 10 deg but with very high winds - we hiked up to about the fire road off of tucks trail before turning around.
    Tim
    What was it like at that elevation?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default conditions near fire road

Bill - I would guesstimate winds at 40+ with higher gusts and loose snow being blown in your face from time to time. One of those days it was tough to stay comfortable - and conditions worsening the higher you went. While we could have continued higher, there was no point as we the wind chill made it quite uncomfortable and we certainly would have turned around at treeline.
    Tim

Thanks

Default Mt Jefferson/Adams

We headed up on Lowe's Path towards Mt. Jefferson on sat. The weather was nasty, high winds and not great visibility. But we could see the cairns and were breaking trail and finally made our way up to the summit. We turned around and then stayed at Grey Knob and headed out again to Adams on Sunday. Although it was bright and sunny on Sunday, the wind gusts were still as bad as sat. I found it very hard to stay on the peak of Adams for more than a few moments, let alone enjoy the view or take pictures. I had a mild wind-burn/frost bite but it was worth the experience. I think the forecasts said winds gusts of 70+ mph on Sunday, good enough to almost knock you off balance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordvoldemort
    We headed up on Lowe's Path towards Mt. Jefferson on sat. The weather was nasty, high winds and not great visibility. But we could see the cairns and were breaking trail and finally made our way up to the summit. We turned around and then stayed at Grey Knob and headed out again to Adams on Sunday. Although it was bright and sunny on Sunday, the wind gusts were still as bad as sat. I found it very hard to stay on the peak of Adams for more than a few moments, let alone enjoy the view or take pictures. I had a mild wind-burn/frost bite but it was worth the experience. I think the forecasts said winds gusts of 70+ mph on Sunday, good enough to almost knock you off balance.
    Glad you didn't get blown into the gulf!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Wow! This place has been unforgiving lately! Hard to believe for late March!

Thanks

The weather archives for Mt.Washington summit have avg wind speed at 80 mph on sat and 104 on sun. I don' think it was that bad on Jefferson/Adams at the time when i was there, but can only imagine how bad it must have been above Lion's head...

Thanks

Default winds on Lions Head

Yea Between Lions head and Alpine Garden the winds must have been INTENSE!!! I can't believe you guys were up on Jefferson and Adams. I have been up on Adams in high winds and it is not alot of fun. The one time the winds were so high I turned around at thunderstorm junction and headed down. Were you guys able to stand up on Adams or were you pretty much hanging on. Wonder if anyone made the top of the rock pile on Sat???

Thanks

We were able to barely stand up on Adams and had to head back down pretty much as soon as we got there.