Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Haystack - 3/2

Thanks

Default Little Haystack - 3/2

You could call it an "aborted attempt at Mt Lincoln" but what purpose does that serve?

We had a great hike up Falling Waters Trail to Little Haystack this past weekend.

The parking lot was frigid and windy. The hike up through the trees was beautiful, with incredible fluffy powder. Above treeline was a world that we were not prepared for - even with all our gear.

Trip report is here

Thanks for listening!
    Valerie

Thanks

Great trip report, guys!!
    With all the rescues going on this year (and fatalities) it's refreshing to hear of someone who actually THOUGHT about the conditions and TURNED BACK!
    Congratulations! The trail will be there the next time. And, because you used your heads, so will you!
    GREAT pictures. Those frosted trees would have been enough to get me out there, alone. What an awesome winter world it is up there. I DID manage to get up there, earlier this year, just for a few days of cross country skiing. It was simply beautiful!! I gazed up at the peaks - from down bottom on the Great Glen trails - and thought about how gorgeous it would be up at the top. Maybe another time . . .
    Glad to see you guys are getting out there . . .
    Trekker

Thanks

Even without making the original goal looks like it was a great day. Photos are just beautiful. I think bracketing the set with the restrooms and the phone were a great touch.

I echo Treker's comment about having the sense to turn back instead of pushing on. Just too many bad situations lately.

Just out of curiousity, how did Val stop on the pseudo-glissades? Did you have to do a self arrest or were things a bit simpler (hopefully not involving rocks or trees)
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Bobsledding??

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman
    Just out of curiousity, how did Val stop on the pseudo-glissades? Did you have to do a self arrest or were things a bit simpler (hopefully not involving rocks or trees)
    Well, the "trail trench" was deep enough that I wasn't in any danger of going off course and I usually just rode it out. Tim is much more comfortable than I am getting down the steep stretches, so he goes first and stops at the bottom (or less steep spot). I hike down after him, trying to hold myself back against the powers of gravity and 12-16 inches of powder. Eventually, those forces win out and I just slip and go down. I always stop before I run into him. Probably never further than 20-30 feet.

It's mostly just embarassing.
    V

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker
    Great trip report, guys!!
    With all the rescues going on this year (and fatalities) it's refreshing to hear of someone who actually THOUGHT about the conditions and TURNED BACK!
    Congratulations! The trail will be there the next time. And, because you used your heads, so will you!
    GREAT pictures. Those frosted trees would have been enough to get me out there, alone. What an awesome winter world it is up there. I DID manage to get up there, earlier this year, just for a few days of cross country skiing. It was simply beautiful!! I gazed up at the peaks - from down bottom on the Great Glen trails - and thought about how gorgeous it would be up at the top. Maybe another time . . .
    Glad to see you guys are getting out there . . .
    Trekker
    The trees were unbelievable and I was very glad that we were there.

We really don't take any unnecessary chances. We're expecting to spend the rest of our long lives in NH. No reason to see everything in the first three years. HAHAHA.

Val

Thanks

Default Awesome!

Great TR and pics! looking at other hiking forums, not too many people made it to their destinations in the current conditions. loose, unconsolidated powder is extremely hard to take purchase in. Even in my MSR Lightening Ascent snowshoes which have mega traction, I could not get up some of the steeps on the Mount Osceola Trail last Sunday, and about half of our group, including Judy< Emma and I, turned around. Those who made it from East Osceola across to Mount Osceola were ready to cry before they got there.

Nice job getting up Falling Waters. It's a pretty tough trail. I totally agree with what others have said, if you're uncomfortable with the conditions, you did the right thing and turned around before reaching your goal. The mountain will still be there the next time you go. We have turned back twice this year because of conditions and once because I went swimming at a brook crossing I could have easily avoided if I had been thinking. My goal was the summit and I missed out because I set my sight on that and didn't bother to think out the rest of the hike. It luckily didn't turn out bad, but easily could have. It was a wake up call, and I'm taking a lot more into consideration now. Sometimes when things go well on a few trips you can get cocky out there. As Hermann Beuhl said, "The mountains have a way with dealing with overconfidence."

KDT

PS: You may want to consider one of these for Val. : )

http://www.wagondepot.com/Eurosled_S..._p/eur-esb.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Great TR and pics! looking at other hiking forums, not too many people made it to their destinations in the current conditions.

KDT

PS: You may want to consider one of these for Val. : )

http://www.wagondepot.com/Eurosled_S..._p/eur-esb.htm
    We also noticed that there were a lot of "attempts" this past weekend. Saw your names mentioned in NewHampshire's trail report of the Osceolas on ViewsFromTheTop. I cannot *imagine* getting up East Osceola in these conditions. What a breathtaking day that must have been - literally.

Rergarding the sled, it looks like FUN but is that considered good trail etiquette? I wasn't sure if other hikers would be cursing under their breath at me for messing up the trail as it was.

V

Thanks

Default Swiss Bob

They seem to be a relatively new phenomenon in the Whites, too me, anyway. Not sure if there is any etiquette as of yet. A lot of people are using them, though. It won't mess up the trail for snowshoers, just the barebooters who should be in snowshoes. They're the ones messing up the trail with their postholes.

KDT

Thanks

Default Val on a sled

I would love to see that. Tim if you get one, I'm coming on your next winter hike.

Thanks

Debi, if I thought that would get you on the trail with us, I'd buy it in a minute, but you'd have to try it too!!

V