Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Presi traverse March 15-17

Thanks

When we could not find the trail due to visibility or buried cairns and signs we used a combination of a tyvek map and the GPS. The map has contour lines that were very useful and the map also shows which direction the trail heads (left, right, etc.) The GPS gave us waypoints that were extremely helpful in giving us a general direction. Some of it is guessing but with a map, compass, and GPS you can make an educated guess. We are looking into a new GPS and they actually have the topo maps that you can download into the unit. The cool part about that is you can always have a way to know exactly how far from the trail you are.
    Our disaster plan was to locate a somewhat sheltered area and set up camp there to wait out the storms. We had enough rations for 3 full days and extra snacks. We only used 1 full day of rations on our trip and were capable of spending more days out there if we needed to.
    Before heading out to do any adventure it is important to do your research before you go. We read books, maps, trip reports, talk with guides or other people who have experience, come up with disaster plans, and write down exact quantities of food for each person for each day, clothing, and supplies. We pack well before the trip and weigh our packs, do a quick run-through of setting up the tent (with gloves is helpful), test the stove and fuel setup, and try to pick several potential camping areas. When you need to move quickly being prepared in advance makes your trip more enjoyable and a lot safer.

Thanks

Default radio ??

I know the weather is quite unpredicatable in the high summits but i was wondering if any of you guys carry a portable radio while doing overnight trips and tune in to get the 24 hr forecast of high summits.

Thanks

Wo ho looks like a blast!!!!!
    Glad you made it back safe.

Thanks

First and foremost.. Congrats on a great trip. I can say I am very jealous and hope in the next few years to be able to take a trip like that. The question I have is with the GPS did you find yourself relying too much on the electronics and not enough on basic compass orientation. I know that the GPS will keep you on track a lot easier but if you were having trouble with the GPS freezing would a compass have been better off. I just bought a GPS for use on the mountains but I am concerned that the basic map and orientation skills are left out when using a GPS. Also what was the site you used to get the way points for GPS. Again nice job. Glad to hear you made it safely.
    Kevin (MeridenFF)
    Last one to the top buys the first beer!

Thanks

The GPS was our last resort. We did not intend to use it unless we were in an emergency situation. We were in a very urgent situation and without the GPS we would have been in a bit of trouble. We could not see our feet at one point, that is how bad the visibility was. We have an older GPS and just had waypoints plugged in from the following site: www.chauvinguides.com and they are the emergency escape/whiteout plan routes. They do not follow the trail but give you a waypoint that will bring you to a trail sign or intersection, this is what saved us. We learned a valuable lesson on this trip, carry a gps, know how to use it, bring extra batteries, and don't be ashamed to use it. We did use the map and compass while using the GPS. All three were needed on this traverse and I would not want to be without any of them.
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangergirl
    The GPS was our last resort. We did not intend to use it unless we were in an emergency situation. We were in a very urgent situation and without the GPS we would have been in a bit of trouble. We could not see our feet at one point, that is how bad the visibility was. We have an older GPS and just had waypoints plugged in from the following site: www.chauvinguides.com and they are the emergency escape/whiteout plan routes. They do not follow the trail but give you a waypoint that will bring you to a trail sign or intersection, this is what saved us. We learned a valuable lesson on this trip, carry a gps, know how to use it, bring extra batteries, and don't be ashamed to use it. We did use the map and compass while using the GPS. All three were needed on this traverse and I would not want to be without any of them.
    Do you know what the approximate temperature was during the time you were using the GPS? There's definitely a lower limit on the screen and even the overall operaion on these devices as well as battery issues (depending on the type). I love my GPS and yours obviously saved you in this case. I'd be really scared about having to trust it in those conditions... Glad it worked!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page