Thread: Hikes that weren't 3/08

Thanks

Default Hikes that weren't 3/08

We've been thwarted on our last three winter 4k attempts. First on the Signal Ridge Trail to Mount Carrigain. It was beautiful weather-wise, but I took a dip in Whiteface Brook and we had to turn back. A week later, Saturday's weather looked like this as we hiked locally at the Hampstead Conservation Area:

We took this hike on Saturday in hopes that Sunday's weather would be better for a trip to the Osceola's. Sunday did bring better weather, clear and cold, unfortunately the unconsolidated snow made the steep sections quite difficult and we turned back. Other, hardier hikers made it through to both Osceola summits, but called the effort "Epic" and one of the harder hikes they had ever made:

This morning we were stymied again by high winds and blowing snow. With our plans for a trip up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail now ditched, we opted for a nice, leisurely stroll around The Flume Gorge to check out the ice climbers and roaring waterfalls:

With the ice bridges washed out, ice climbers had to make their way across ice walls to reach good climbing points.

We've got a few more shots at getting another summit or two this winter. With only ten completed, we fell considerably short of what we had hoped for, but we made it safely through these and are glad that we were able to get out and do this rather than sitting home and bemoaning the snow depths. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the next week or two brings some good hiking conditions.

KDT

Thanks

Sounds like many of my hiking days lately. Much better to be safe than sorry. I strolled along the Nanamocomuck yesterday, but I was in the woods You'll probably have a great hike to the Osceolas next weekend!

happy trails
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

Default Enjoyable Hike

If I didn't know better I would have thought that those were pictures taken by me on our hike of the "Flume" on 2/29. Did you happen to take the trail which takes you to the Sentinel Pine Bridge? That gorge is also spectacular in winter. Also, on that trail is a great view of Mount Liberty and Mount Flume.
    You don't always need elevation gain to get good views.

Thanks

Default Sentinel Bridge

Why, yes, we did! There were actually some climbers in there, too! I think your avatar is the view you're talking about?

KDT

Thanks

I echo the sentiments of others on the forum (and what you told me a week ago) - Better Safe than Sorry! Ten high peaks in this winter of really odd and unpredictable weather is great! We got 5 summits in 7 attempts so far. Hoping for 1-2 more this weekend. Last shot.

We've never been to the Flume. The ice climbing shot is really cool. Do they mind if folks just watch them??

Valerie