Thread: use caution - still winter

Thanks

Exclamation use caution - still winter

With this warm weather this may bring out the climbers who want to be able to do Washington in the winter and think this is the perfect time to do it. I just climbed on Nov. 8th in rain and warmer temps. This is a very difficult time to climb due to having to have the correct clothes and proper gear. You really need a light summer shell for the bottom and a winter shell for above tree. You need summer first layer for below tree and mid - weight for above tree. You will need no traction for the bottom but will need traction above tree. The bottom line is you really need to bring 2 sets of clothes. I had 3 sets and went thru all 3 by the time I was back at Pinkham. Don't let the warm weather make you think it is that way on the rock pile. Be prepared!!!!!!!! The weather can change in a heart beat. Remember no matter what the temp is it is still Nov. and that means it is winter on the top.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Rex,
    Great point. I was just reading that somewhere in the local paper here in NH, that they were afraid of people heading out to hike the mountain thinking it would be no big deal especially the beginner hikers and have all kinds of trouble. You bring up a strong point and people have to realize that Mt Washington has its own weather compared to what you may have in your backyard.
    thank you.

Thanks

Thanks Rex.

I couldn't agree more. During my stint on the summit, it was the shoulder seasons that we warned, read about, witnessed and helped rescue the greatest proportion of unprepared hikers. May and October/November seemed to be the worst.

And if anyone has read 'Not Without Peril', being unprepared on Mount Washington has dire consequences.

I see scrolling on the homepage that all facilities are closed...It's certainly winter!