Thread: Moosilauke on 3/18

Thanks

Default Moosilauke on 3/18

We squeezed a vacation day from work to get in one last peak before spring started. Tuesday looked to be perfect, judging by the forecast, and so we picked something that we wouldn't do in questionable weather - Mt Moosilauke.

I know this forum is very partial to Mt Washington, but Moosilauke is a GREAT mountain. We've done it before in July 2006 and September 2007, and we knew it would take just the right day due to the very exposed summit.

This was our best Winter 4K ever - with sunshine, no wind, blue skies. Never before have we had the opportunity to sit on the rocks and eat lunch on the summit in winter. And the views were breathtaking!

Just an incredible day overall. Pictures and the trip report are found here.

Valerie

Thanks

Default Gah-jus!

Let me be the first to say how jealous I am. (We played hooky last week.) We did the Moose in winter in '06. We were actually colder in other seasons than we were that day because of that west wind that sweeps the ridge. Thankfully it wasn't present on our winter hike. We had similar views, but the conditions were not so icy. Great photos and TR!

KDT

Thanks

On this nineteenth day of March, near the end of this unrelenting winter season, at a time when we've all but forgotten what grass looks like, when we nearly resort to cannibalism on a daily basis, take this picture and remember the warmer times:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_panorama.jpg

Thanks

Who's that guy in the yellow shorts?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Who's that guy in the yellow shorts?
    Who are ALL of those guys in yellow shorts

Its the attack of the clones!!!

Thanks

Nice picture, I can't wait to get back up there, Moosilauke is such a nice hike.

Incidentally, I drove up and around the back of Chocorua this weekend and there were literally still ten foot snowbanks! I'm more of a warm weather hiker, so i reckon there is still some time to wait.. uhg.. i hate waiting.

andrew

HikingNewEngland.com
    - New England hiking and camping discussion.