Thread: ? on lightning?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default ? on lightning?

I was just wondering how often the Rock Pile is struck by lightning?

Does anybody have any pics of lightning strikes?

Does the lightning leave marks in the rock?

Any stories would be great as well?

Thanks

I am currently off the summit so I cannot provied any official stats. Lightning can occur any month much like snow can occur any month on top. Although, where snow is less common in summer, lightning is less common in winter. I would say that between November and March, there is one flash or less per month (ie 0). As summer swings into full effect, the dynamics of the atmosphere grow more unstable and set up better for lightning storms. But a funny thing happens with thunderstorms and the summit, it either helps form them just to our east or kills them as they approach. But when they do roll through us, not over us, it varies from one flash to over 30 per hour. The most I have counted in a single hour is close to 30. I would say a TS (thunderstorm) frequency is at least once a week or more in the summer. The amount of hits is a bit difficult to know since we do not keep track of that data. As for pics, I have seen a few but do not own any. I have seen a few volunteers take some night shots of them when they are a distance away and the summit is clear at the time. As for leaving marks, I have yet to see any marks left on any of our surfaces around the summit building. As for stories...too many to share.

Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist, MWO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper
    I am currently off the summit so I cannot provied any official stats. Lightning can occur any month much like snow can occur any month on top. Although, where snow is less common in summer, lightning is less common in winter. I would say that between November and March, there is one flash or less per month (ie 0). As summer swings into full effect, the dynamics of the atmosphere grow more unstable and set up better for lightning storms. But a funny thing happens with thunderstorms and the summit, it either helps form them just to our east or kills them as they approach. But when they do roll through us, not over us, it varies from one flash to over 30 per hour. The most I have counted in a single hour is close to 30. I would say a TS (thunderstorm) frequency is at least once a week or more in the summer. The amount of hits is a bit difficult to know since we do not keep track of that data. As for pics, I have seen a few but do not own any. I have seen a few volunteers take some night shots of them when they are a distance away and the summit is clear at the time. As for leaving marks, I have yet to see any marks left on any of our surfaces around the summit building. As for stories...too many to share.

Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist, MWO
    Thanks you very much!Am going try and get some pics of lightning this spring and summer to provide for this thread.

I had a close call atop of Green Mountain Fire tower in 2005.

I wasn't in the fire tower when the lightning storm came threw.It is fairly

rocky up there.We were just getting to the top.We went into a hut to get out

of the storm.Before we could get into the hut lightning struck about 30 yards

from me.

Thanks

We had a very close call on the summit with some flashes. I think Jim was there as well. It was a winter evening and we were getting hit hard with a storm out of the southeast. We had wondered over to the Stage Office to feel the wind when a bright flash lit up the sky. Wasting no time everyone turned and ran for shelter. I think we may have lost someone in the stampede.

Safely back inside we regaled all with our story of heroism and survival.

About 15 minutes later a summit guest wondered back inside. We asked him if he saw the lightning. He missed it, but he did get some good photos of his friends on the deck. Nicely lit with his camera flash.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Lightening can be scary when it strikes close by. When I was working at a summer camp in NH one summer (years ago) I was walking down a gravel road between cabins and a huge pine tree in front o me was struck by lightening. A splinter the size of an axe handle ended up sticking into a cabin wall behind me.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Here are 3 lightning strike videos I found about 2 weeks ago on You Tube

Minivan struck by lightning going down the road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUOd...eature=related

Tree hit close up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLJ6o...eature=related

Guy working on motorcycle gets sparked (you can see it jump from the bike to his hand) [warning has some cursing in it]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCbk-IOYsc