Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washington 3-25

Thanks

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great experience. Many of us are pouring over your photos to get a fresh look at all the snow cover. A new perspective always helps.

I agree with others. This is a great time to join the observatory. Its only $30 and you'll help turn on the new webcams. Not to mention all the great benefits; Windswept, webcam zooms and time lapse movies. Don't worry though, nobody here will know if you choose not to join. And the forums are open to anybody who is interested in Mount Washington, member or not.

Hopefully you'll make it back to NH for some summer climbs.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Any anecdotes about snow cover below treeline on the Tucks Trail? Buried signs, missing rivers, what about Pinkham Notch? Deep snow in the bowl is great, but its hard to compare to anything.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Your pictures look great! You were very lucky to have such a nice view!

Thanks

Yeah snow cover before the tree line was great. Tim said that he rarely saw it as snowy as it was and that we were lucky that we didn't have to scramble over rocks. Tim was an excellent guide he told me he was going down to Ecuador the next day so he is probably there now. I think he said that he is going to climb Cotopaxi with his father. He took all the pics by the way and its a good thing to, I was so exhausted that I probably wouldn't have gotten the camera out. I would like to come back some summer to do it again to see how different it is.

Thanks

You should come back in the summer to hike Mt Washington. I find it more challenging in the summer due to the exposed rocks. In the winter the trail is nice and smooth from the snow. The toughest part of the winter is the cold temperatures and possibility of deep snow.

In the summer you literally have to hop from boulder to boulder from the start to the finish. It is usually quicker in the summer because you can carry a lighter pack and don't have to use much technical gear (ie. axes and crampons), but I still find summer to be harder. The other part about hiking up in the summer is there are more people and when you get to the summit you see people walking around in flip-flops. They actually come talk to you and take pictures of you because they are shocked that people hike up Mt Washington!

The best part about the summit in the summer is the weather station. It is so cool to check out the videos, weather data, etc. Also, you have to get one of the whoopie pies they sell at the summit, they are AWESOME!!!!!!!

The scariest part of the summer climb has to be the risk of thunderstorms. They roll in fast and unexpectedly. Two years ago I had the pleasure of being in one after passing the lake of the clouds hut. We made it to the summit and waited out the storm before heading back down. It was actually my mom and dads first time climbing Mount Washington and my dad was so excited that we hiked up in 80mph gusts! He really loved the weather station. My mom really loved getting back to the car. She was quite the trooper.
    Last edited by dangergirl; 03-31-2008 at 04:50 PM.
    Work to live, live to play, but never live to work.
    Check out my adventures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OFbulldog
    I would like to come back some summer to do it again to see how different it is.
    You really need to come back in summer. It is amazing. Check out the photo albums listed in my profile below (and MANY of the others from the regulars on this forum) for an idea of the experience. Better yet, come in July and join us for Seek the Peak. It would be great to meet you and share your next Mt Washington trip with you!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I was there on sat 3/29 and the weather was as nastiest i have ever seen. 80mph winds, 10-15 feet of visibility with snow blowing. Once above the tree-line you had to break the trail as most people had turned back earlier. We went a little bit beyond Lion's head, but called it a day soon and turned back.

btw, the best thing about the summer hike is that you can get some soup and snacks at the top.