Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifetime Ski Passes

Thanks

Default Lifetime Ski Passes

If you didn't notice, MWO is offering 4 lifetime ski passes for Attitash. All proceeds benefit the observatory, and if you're the high bidder you never have to buy another ticket to ski at Attitash.

Lifetime Tickets
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    If you didn't notice, MWO is offering 4 lifetime ski passes for Attitash. All proceeds benefit the observatory, and if you're the high bidder you never have to buy another ticket to ski at Attitash.

Lifetime Tickets
    All I can say is wow. I don't think I would get my monies worth unless I move to NH though.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Steve,
    Perhaps you should set up your own auction, I can see it now, lifetime lift tickets to the only ski resort in Florida. It should be a sellout!!!

Thanks

That's a great idea. Sell lifetime lift tickets ahead of time to raise the money to build the resort.
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    That's a great idea. Sell lifetime lift tickets ahead of time to raise the money to build the resort.
    That's what most ski areas did in the beginning. In fact, they do it every year with season passes that offer big discounts compared to day rates.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I still haven't received Brad's check in the mail. I wonder what the hold up is???
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    I still haven't received Brad's check in the mail. I wonder what the hold up is???

it is bouncing it's way down
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    it is bouncing it's way down
    I am sure it is on its way.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I am sure it is on its way.
    Where is the wink?????
    Steve

Thanks

14 hours to go and not much action on those ski passes. Hopefully some savvy Ebayer's are waiting for the last minute to toss in their bids.

Honestly though, I do not believe they are priced right. Maybe I'm wrong, but Ebay is the ultimate market place and it has an amazing ability to bring out the true value of almost anything. And when done properly, a properly priced Ebay auction will not only bring out the true value, but sometimes induce a bidding war to inflate values.

For one, this should have been a dutch auction. All four passes on one listing. This gives the bidders the ability to choose the quantity and the maximum price they are willing to pay. I won't go into the details of how a dutch auction works, but when you have more than one item its an ideal way to list. Additionally, the type of people that buy lifetime passes often want to buy two. Skiing for a lifetime with a friend is way better than doing it alone.

I'm not an accountant, so I may be wrong, but the current setup would not be tax deductible. Even though you are giving to a non-profit you are essentially buying these passes. Not that you can't try it on your tax return, but when the IRS comes knocking you might lose. This is the time of year when people trying to lower their tax bill tend to give money non-profits, but only if they can get a tax benefit.

The passes are non-transferable. They essentially have no warranty if you break your leg and can never ski again. I've seen lifetime passes before and many had a one-time transfer clause. Because of this people are going to pay a smaller premium for the passes.

I know there is a market for these passes, but if the right people don't know about the auction it doesn't matter. It would be worth knowing who spends the most money at Attitash and to take out a few ads in their newspapers. You don't sell million dollar ski homes at Deer Valley to ski bums in Salt Lake. You sell them to executives in New York City.

My suggestion is to lower the price and get some bidding started. Clarifying the tax situation with this auction would also help. But if they aren't tax deductible expect them to be worth 35% less than you think. These passes are a great gift to Mount Washington, but only if they sell and only if MWO can maximize the bids they receive.
    Bill
    EasternLight