I know someone must have done the experiment. I'm wondering at what temperature spit will freeze before hitting the ground. I've done quite a bit of research on it, and have yet to find a definitive answer, so I'm turning to the experts. I read that a scientist at the south pole tried it at -20 and it didn't work. I personally tried it at around -35 about 10 years ago and found that it froze almost immediately after contact with the ground. I read that Jack London's character in a story about Alaska estimated an ambient temperature of -75 because his spit crackled when it froze a few inches from his lips. I've read that scientists at NOVA thought it would freeze prior to hitting the ground at -50 or colder. I even read a blog who's author claimed that he did it in Illinois when the temp was -72, however according to NOAA the coldest its ever been in Ill is -36, so I had to discard that claim. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'd like to know does it bounce like an ice cube, if so how cold does it have to be to do that? Is there an audible "crackling sound" when it freezes in the air? I'd love to hear about the conditions, results, etc...
Thank you!
File Boy