Thread: Two trips up Mt Pierce

Thanks

Default Two trips up Mt Pierce

Hi All!!

We've got two new trip reports posted for the same trail/mountain!!

March 25, Tim & his dad climbed Mt Pierce via Crawford Path on probably the nicest hiking day of the year. It may not count as a "winter" hike on anybody's checklist, but Dad had a really great time - his first hike in so much snow. I should point out that Dad's being inducted into the 46ers in the ADKs in May, so he is not new to hiking tough mountains, just to the snowy aspects of this winter in NH.

Trail Report is here

April 6 (today), Tim & I went back to the same trail. We didn't have *quite* the weather that they had, but still had a great hike. As we were coming down, we reveled in the hiking without rocks underfoot... part of me is ready for Spring, and part of me doesn't want the bugs and rocks to come back quite yet.

Trail Report is here

Valerie

Thanks

Wow what a great day with your dad!
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Great trail report and pics. I will be with you next time, definitely. I'm glad you had a good hike. Debi

Thanks

You guys had too much fun. Great pics and report, thanks.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Hey T&V! Your reports are great and torture me at the same time! I'm hoping one of these days to get up north for a winter hike like that. I'm literally counting the days to StP already. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Default Way cool!

Just finished checking out both TR's. Beautiful pictures on both! What a great day you had with your dad. Wish I could have done something like this with mine. Thursday he'll have been gone 13 years. Hard to believe. You'll always have this perfect day as a memory. Although maybe not as scenically beautiful, it looks like Val's day was awesome as well.

Funny how it's hard to find the trail near the summit of Pierce. Because of it's relative ease it was one of our first winter 4k's. There was a wicked wind that day and our tracks blew in as soon as we made them. After about 5 minutes on the summit we headed back down and realized we had lost the trail. Luckily we realized we had come down too far and climbed back up to where we found a way into the trees and back out of the wind. That northwest slope where the Crawford Path drops you out above tree line is like stepping out into a wind tunnel.

Glad you finally got to see a marten!

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog
    Hey T&V! Your reports are great and torture me at the same time! I'm hoping one of these days to get up north for a winter hike like that. I'm literally counting the days to StP already. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.
    Hey Blue Dog!! We were glad to see you were going to be at Moose Brook!! We'll look you up on Friday night!

Valerie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Just finished checking out both TR's. Beautiful pictures on both! What a great day you had with your dad. Wish I could have done something like this with mine. Thursday he'll have been gone 13 years. Hard to believe. You'll always have this perfect day as a memory. Although maybe not as scenically beautiful, it looks like Val's day was awesome as well.

KDT
    Kevin,

I know that I am very lucky to get to do this stuff with my Dad. He loves to hike, and I did about 30 of his 46 peaks with him in the Adirondacks. He made me do all of the long trail-less ones with him!!! He just started hiking when he retired at 62. We never use to walk anywhere if there wasn’t a trout pond at the other end. Happy hiking

Tim