Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Want To Climb Mount Washington This Summer

Thanks

Default I Want To Climb Mount Washington This Summer

...And I probably want to hike up Tuckermans. Where do I begin?

I've had a few people ask me about this topic, and hopefully this forum can help answer their questions. There's a lot to cover so everyone's input is important.

First off, my answer is almost always yes, you can climb Mount Washington. The mountain has a dangerous reputation that is well deserved, but the fact is that tens of thousands of people climb safely to the summit every year.

One big issue with Tuckerman Ravine Trail is that the trail is closed to hikers for a few months in the spring and even into early summer some years. Snow and ice make the trail unclimbable. The standard detour is up the Lion's Head trail. An equally challenging route with great views of the ravine.

Besides that there is nothing special about Tuckermans Ravine during the summer. Follow the trail, paint blazes, and cairns all the way to the summit. In the ravine there are some steep sections that can easily be negotiated with caution.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I would love to meet somebody there in N.H. next year that would like to hike with us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Stokes
    Thanks for the info! I would love to meet somebody there in N.H. next year that would like to hike with us.
    I think you found the right place. Earlier in the fall several members were organizing group hikes all over the White Mountains. I expect those group hikes to return in the spring.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default nice.

That would be nice to get in with a goup like that. My son and myself love to hike and explore. I have taken the train up to the top and that was fun but there is something about the day hike. I kinda am collecting pictures of the elevation markers at the top of the peaks. I will keep checking back and hope to meet some nice folk.
    Rod

Thanks

Default Took train to top

Just reading your past post and you said you took the train to the top of Washington. How in the world can you even judge these climbers on hood for what they did. What is your resume that gives you the right to juge them and have the b---- to call them stupid. Remember you took the train up Washington and Hood I would say is a little more difficult than Washington on the North face. Think before you post.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks

Smile

i kinda prefer the western trails up da rockpile meself. i like da ammo/jewell loop if'n i have only one car goin'. tux is always too crowded fer me!

on the eastern side i like huntington's. but if'n yer a little scared o' fallin', watch ou!!!!!

Thanks

Smile

another way i went one time a few months ago is to go up da great gulf, up da headwall, on up da 'pile, back down wamsutta across da great gulf trail again, up 6 husbands to gulfside at edmand's col then up over adams and madison and down i fergit which trail--daniel webster maybe? i don't have me map in front of me, but whichever way down madison and back to yer whip in the great gulf parkin' lot. at the top of 6 husbands ya can shortcut straight to edmand's col by takin' da parapet. it's fun too.

longish day, but hikin's fun so da more ya hike the more fun ya have! just stands to reason!!!

(post'rboy and his lady one time climbed washington by startin' in georgia!! the didn't quit til they got to maine!!!!! that's the longest hike up washington!!!!!)

drinkin' a few cold uns at moat mountain brewpub caps off a fine day like this one!!!! tell 'em bruno sent ya!!!

Thanks

Default Springer to Washington

Yep did the same started on Springer and hiked to the summit of Washington. That is along way to the top. The way you went though Bruno is a LONG day!! That is a ton of elevation drop and gain. The trails you mentioned are some steep trails. You said you did six husbands back up to Madison. Did you ever head up the Madison gulf trail over the headwall. That might be the steepest trail I have been on in the whites. All the trails out of great gulf up to Adams or Madison are steep but Madison Gulf I feel is the steepest. I will say I have never done it with a full pack, only a day pack. I have seen people do it with full packs but that is just insane in my book.

Thanks

as mark jenkins pointed out "it ain't an adventure unless it starts in the dark and ends in the dark."

word.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruno
    another way i went one time a few months ago is to go up da great gulf, up da headwall, on up da 'pile, back down wamsutta across da great gulf trail again, up 6 husbands to gulfside at edmand's col then up over adams and madison and down i fergit which trail--daniel webster maybe? i don't have me map in front of me, but whichever way down madison and back to yer whip in the great gulf parkin' lot. at the top of 6 husbands ya can shortcut straight to edmand's col by takin' da parapet. it's fun too.

longish day, but hikin's fun so da more ya hike the more fun ya have! just stands to reason!!!

(post'rboy and his lady one time climbed washington by startin' in georgia!! the didn't quit til they got to maine!!!!! that's the longest hike up washington!!!!!)

drinkin' a few cold uns at moat mountain brewpub caps off a fine day like this one!!!! tell 'em bruno sent ya!!!
    brunos got it goin' on. get him wound up an' watch out. dude covers some ground!!
    p.s. an he drinks fine brew an' wine too!
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!