Thread: Bill and Jay play hookie 4/9/08

Thanks

Default Bill and Jay play hookie 4/9/08

Well with 2 failed attempts to even make it to Mt. Washington this winter due to the weather we decided we would just go when it looked promising. Well yesterday was the day. The forecast of mid 30's with clear skies was one we just couldn't pass up. So we let our bosses know that we had scheduled an off site meeting and headed north.

Our route was the super highway known as the Lion's Head winter route even if it wasn't officially winter anymore.

Our trip up to Tucks had plenty of company with the hoards of skiers venturing up the mountain. I would say the ratio of skiers to hikers was something like 50 to 3 as we didn't really encounter any other hikers with the exception of one other guy.

The snow conditions early were somewhat frosty with indications that later on it would get wet with the rapidly climbing temps and ever increasing sunshine. We put on the crampons soon after turning onto the LH route and kept them on the whole way with the exception of the section between the Lion's Head itself and the junction of Tucks trail and the Alpine Garden. That section had melted down to bare ground and it was just easier to bare boot.

Once on top we were treated to near cloudless skies and got to hang out sunning ourselves for about a half hour.

Coming down the wind picked up some but as soon as we got to the shelter of Lions Head it was blocked the rest of the trip out. From there down post-holing became the concern. At one point I went deep enough to sing soprano and I was hoping when I extricated my leg that I would still have a boot with a crampon attached.

Coming down through the woods of the LH trail was tricky. The snow was getting kind of slushy and combined with the steepness left you hoping that when you planted your boot that it wouldn't just slide away. A more frozen surface would have given a much better sense of confidence.

The trip out was uneventful and we were able to bask in the enjoyment of another successful off site meeting. Corporate deals were made which will definitely improve the companies bottom line.

Pix here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/enginecz...tonByLionsHead

Check out this picture, a rare shot of a summit troll. I've heard of them and I know some consider them a myth. He's right near the ground between my axe and the sign.

http://picasaweb.google.com/enginecz...33954218407778
    Last edited by billysinc; 04-10-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks

You know what they say about mixing business with pleasure don't you...

It makes work all the more fun!

Glad you had an awesome day, great pics too.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Great stuff, Billy!

Wish I'd have been there! Looks like a great day! Those trolls are pretty low to the ground, eh?

KDT