Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest 2008

Thanks

Default Everest 2008

If you like following climbers on Mount Everest this guy has a great blog and video feed setup for his attempt on Everest this spring. He is climbing with Alpine Ascents and has hauled some pretty impressive technology to basecamp.

Mount Everest 2008

The "blogs" and "videos" link have the most content, but the rest of his site has some great trip reports from around the world.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Great - thanks.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Let's hope all the teams actually have a chance at making a Summit attempt this year! I've been keeping up on the activity there.

Sounds like in the last day or two, military are keeping things under lock down at Base camp, even on the Nepal side, to make sure noone is going up the mountain.

They've also banned any commercial flights to-from basecamp and sightseeing around the mountain (unless its an emergency.)

This is a great blog that I subscribe to. It's my morning ritual reading material. The Adventure Blog
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Sounds like Russell Brice will be sending his crew up the south side with the rest of the climbers this season. I wonder if The Discovery Channel will be there this year.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

If you are interested in Everest, have you seen the Rest of Everest podcast?

Having watched the Discovery productions on Everest and then this podcast series, I feel like Discovery is really ripping me off in their stuff and that they don't give a true picture of whole journey.

Jon Miller, the producer of it just does an incredible job at painting the whole picture of planning, traveling to Nepal and Tibet, the people and culture, what basecamp is REALLY like and long process it is to making the trek to the summit.

I HIGHLY recommend subscribing and downloading all the episodes, and start from the beginning! Once you get hooked (and it won't take long) send him a donation and he'll give you the download for the movie that he made from the footage.

I have no affiliation with him other than I was so impressed by the podcast, I've communicated with him several times, as he does love to hear from his viewers. This series now have me dreaming of making the trip to Tibet to explore and hike!
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Don't forget. On the south side you trek 50 miles or so to basecamp. In Tibet you drive to basecamp and have only a 1-2 day trek to ABC.

Discovery has left out quite a bit, but remember the show is not for mountaineers, its for everybody else. They've also done an amazing job filming at high altitudes and showing what the upper part of the mountain looks like.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Will Brice able to take a team up this year? I loved the Discovery show (its on my iPod, watch when I go to the gym...to train for Mt Washington, lol)

I tried downloading "The Rest Of Everest" from iTune....never worked,,,grrrg

Thanks

I heard they moved their expedition to the south side. I have no idea if The Discovery Channel crew is with them though.

Should be interesting. I'm sure he's familiar with the Nepal route, but its not his expertise.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I havent seen anything on the Discovery site...oh well.

LOL, after I mentioned I couldn't download the Rest of Everest....iTunes decided to work, and it's downloading

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MelNino
    I havent seen anything on the Discovery site...oh well.
    The show is not on until the fall and they tend to be very secretive about the production. We'll see.
    Bill
    EasternLight