Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everest 2008

Thanks

I wonder how die-hard Everest climbers feel about this? Me thinks I'll pop over to their site,

Thanks

I'm biased, but I don't care. I consider myself a die-hard mountaineer and I think its really cool. It doesn't hurt that I also love the Olympics. I'm also capable of differentiating between politics and the Olympics.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

The summit is still capped in clouds, but the winds appear light. Its around 10am local time so the time window is still open.

I just lost the English feed, but the Chinese version is still going. If my wife wasn't busy upstairs she could do the translating.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

lol, awesome Bill

I have mixed feelings about this, just hope all come down safely! (and with all their fingers and toes)

(and I am not the biggest fan of the Olympics....only because they rarely show Equestrian.....grr)

Thanks

They're showing some "highlights" now from below the summit ridge. The footage is as good as what we have seen on the Discovery Channel, but this was also being broadcast live in China.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I hope so too. Sure are a lot of people on the mountain. Many have had their oxygen off for several minutes and they are using a lot of energy celebrating.
    They will. Vern T and the other guides know what there doing.

Thanks

The first wave of climbers is off to the summit on the South side. Thankfully our AAI blogger is hanging back a day to wait for weather and these 200 climbers to clear the route.

Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    The first wave of climbers is off to the summit on the South side. Thankfully our AAI blogger is hanging back a day to wait for weather and these 200 climbers to clear the route.
    Seeing that line of climbers heading for the summit is unreal. Looks more like a summer day on Mt Washington or Franconia Ridge than on Everest. Let's hope that this doesn't keep escalating until it creates an even greater disaster than '96. Too many people up there that have no business being there.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtruman
    Seeing that line of climbers heading for the summit is unreal. Looks more like a summer day on Mt Washington or Franconia Ridge than on Everest. Let's hope that this doesn't keep escalating until it creates an even greater disaster than '96. Too many people up there that have no business being there.
    It does include Sherpas that could just be ferrying gear to Camp IV. On the other hand, most of the teams from the North Col route are in Nepal this year. Its going to be interesting over the next two days.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

It looks like something is going on up there. I got this from everestnews.com

High drama and major concern on Everest as not everyone made it back to high camp yet. It is now dark in Nepal. Climbers going up are to run into climbers in trouble..... Numerous climbers are headed up......

While several climbers summited, others were still headed up late and "slow" as described by Sherpas ...

Stay Tuned..
    This was posted today. AAI was at Camp III today, moving to Camp IV on the 22nd and summiting the 23rd.

Mark, have you seen anything on the other mountaineering forums?
    Bill
    EasternLight