Thread: 4/19 Hike

Thanks

Default 4/19 Hike

Hey Everyone,

Heading up this weekend to play on the mountain. Looking for some recommendations for hikes. Did the Lions Head winter route last time, and now Im poking around to see what else could be done. Id say experience is moderate and equipment will be crampons and axes. Looking to hit the summit and not spend more than 8 hours out there.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

You could try the Ammonousic Ravine Trail on the west side of the mountain. I have heard of people hiking that one this time of year. I also would say it is a good one to ascend but not a favorable decent. You would want to come down the Jewel Trail. Both trails have origins at the Cog Station.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Kings Ravine

Great place to play around is Kings Ravine. Gives you many options of mountains to Climb: Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay or even as far as Washington. Not sure how Kings is now with snow but someone who has been up recently could give insight into conditions in Kings.

Thanks

Default Hiking now...

Hiking is real slushy right now. Falling off "the Balance Beam" is resulting in sinking up to your hip or deeper. It's probably better up higher, but don't count on it. It's 38 on the summit right now, 8PM. The water crossing on Ammo will be perilous right now, still doable, but definitely tricky.

KDT

Thanks

I agree with Kevin.

Even scarier is the thought of going out in the morning when its cold and the snow supports you and getting trapped in the afternoon slush.

Maybe I am wrong and the snow is consolidated enough to support a hiker.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight